• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to get elevation change

Kjb

I'm fairly new to running a grader. We purchased a Deere 770b for use on our farm/ranch. I'm looking for the best tool to mount in cab to show elevation increase/decrease. We are wanting to build small dikes in our fields to hold/ catch snow and water. Getting a rough estimate of elevation changes should help us Any recommendation or ideas would be great. Not looking to spend a large amount. Thanks

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Get slope meter and mount it in the cab.Cheap and easy.Good luck

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
Kjb, If you are looking for elevation change i.e. feet above sea level, my Garmin gps has that feature, then when you're done in the machine you can take it with you. If you are looking for cross slope my I phone 4s has a level tool in it that gives percentages, you could attach either of them to glass with any of a hundred different mounts available. Just some thoughts good luck.......Blademan150

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
If you have open fields, look at some of the spinning laser levels set-ups. I was recently quoted a price of over $200 for a new slope meter and I know you can get a laser set-up for much less than that and it is more versatile. You will have to figure out how to get your readings while staying in the machine and you will need a little knowledge on how to determining elevation changes. Shouldn't be too complicated.

Last edited:

Kjb

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering about the garmin gps. I didnt realize they did elevation at first.

Most dikes would be anywhere from 100 - 600 yards, and just getting a quick reading of elevation change would tell me where to put the dike. I have a slope meter in cab, doesn't that just give me slope as the tires sit. ( I could be wrong as I haven't used it much).

Most fields are dry land alfalfa. So not looking to be exact, but need to conserve what water we get. Thanks again for ideas

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
Take a look at this thread

If your looking for cheap, the old optical mechanical self-levelers are often being given away these days. Requires a rod with markings. No batteries needed.
Thinking out loud now, Why not try mounting the self-leveler on the machine and putting the rod in a tripod to fix your elevation when you start out. Get a tablet, pencil and calculator for subtracting and adding. It requires thinking and walking when you have to reset your rod. Helps to draw pictures with your numbers as you go. Easily should be accurate for tenths of a foot. Would have to be mounted well with a good view of the rod. They take a lot of abuse if you lock them down while moving them.

kevin37b

Occupation
Operator #841
We used to have an old dozer operator that could build terraces with an eye level . His work was always perfect .