• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best Place to Buy Hydraulic Hoses?

1968 Case 580CK

April 2015 Case Repairs 073.jpg

I want to replace almost all of the 30+ year old hoses on my 1968 580B CK while I am doing a ton of other repairs. I am up to 36 hoses that I need to buy if I want to replace them all. I know my local Napa guy will be way too expensive, as his prices has sky-rocketed over the past years. Who can supply these hoses at a decent price? I will try TractorStuff, and hopefully they will give me a good price. Any others?

Also, in the Case Parts books, it gives great diagrams and part numbers and hose lengths.....but does not state hose diameter or PSI ratings. Where can I find this info.?

Tinkerer

You may rethink about replacing 36 hoses when you find what they cost. A couple of things to keep in mind when replacing them are, single or dual wire in the sheath. PSI rating is extremely important. Nothing less than 3200 psi if it were my machine. I would advise you to purchase brand name hoses. Parker and Aero Quip by Eaton are the only ones I use. I know a a guy that did just what you are doing. He had taken all of the hoses off of his Case backhoe and took them to the local CNH dealer. He asked them to make all new hoses. They cost him $1700.00. The problems started as soon as he put them on . One by one they either burst open or the laminations would separate in the hose. The dealer sold him hoses that had no name embossed in the outside of the hose like any reputable mfr. would. As far as I know every hose he had replaced were replaced again. He was so mad he never even tried to get anything for compensation from that dealer that sold him the Chinese crap.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
I have the same machine and have done a lot of hoses over the years. The sun and physical damage to the outer rubber sheath are the biggest cause of failure. When the steel core is exposed to moisture, they rust and eventually fail. Tinkerers advice about quality is right on. I use a local hydraulic shop to make up replacements, only quality and add the spiral hose armour. They also have special extra flexible hose for places like the swing tower hoses. All are not cheap and I only have replaced what is necessary during cylinder maintenance. My loader hoses are original and will be done this year when I have it apart for cylinder packings. Case hoses are expensive but for a few like the hose for the shuttle filter in front of the rad, you get the correct fitting. The parts book is great for lengths but does not address the fitting sizes. Your best best is to take the old hose in to the shop. Any decent hydraulic shop will have most of the O rings, all the cylinder packings, hose and any adapters required to fit up to the old ones. A good relationship with one of these businesses can also help in the cost, since they have better pricing for good customers. Its only my opinion, but as already stated, change what you need as you go along and buy quality. It may be the last time that hose is changed in the life of the machine.

Jess

Buickspec6231

I used to work in a Freightliner/Volvo dealership that had its own hydraulic shop. The hydraulic shop used to get work in from all over the place including everything from regular homeowners to massive fleet repairs. Might want to check with some of your local heavy truck and equipment dealerships in your area and see what they have to offer.

Todd v.

If I had that many hoses to do I might just buy thr press and do them myself. That way you could keep or sell the press when you're done and you could replace them one at a time.

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Find your local Parker hydraulic store and have them make the hoses. The one we have here in Conroe Texas is very good and good prices.

1968 Case 580CK

Alot of great advice from everyone. Here are some pics to give you a feel of the condition of the hoses. I have the loader controls off so I can sand/prime/paint, and access to these hoses is great now......if the price is not too shocking, I would like to replace at least the worse ones now.

April 2015 Case Repairs 781.jpg

April 2015 Case Repairs 795.jpg

April 2015 Case Repairs 799.jpg

April 2015 Case Repairs 802.jpg

Tinkerer.....good advice.....I will stay away from the Chinna-made junk which is just throwing money away and receiving a ton of frustrations down the road. So, I should opt for 3200 psi on all the hoses, even though the return lines can go with less? Looking at the pics, I guess you would advise replacing any that have cracked/falling off pieces of the outer rubber sheathing, and just keep the ones that still have non-cracked sheathing?

Justatla......That would be a nightmare.....$1700 of junk hoses......a good lesson to share with us back yard mechanics.

ToddV.....Yea, I guess youre right in buying a press, but that is a whole new adventure where I have too many adventures going on already.

Glitch.....blow by blow, one at a time, 5 gallons of hyd at a time.......float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, the punch of ali and the cost of these hoses.

Buick.....10-4.....will try the large truck shop here, and maybe they will be better/less expensive than napa.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
What I recommend, is that you find a Fastenal store and buy a roll of Weatherhead hose in the sizes you need, and buy reuseable fittings. Your Case should have npt fittings which are common reuseable ends. Weatherhead is a reputable name and Fastenal sells quite a bit of it. Some of the college kids that work there might give you a blank stare so I would hit the net and have part numbers in hand. I think they use Weatherheads numbers with a prefix so it really isn't too hard. Reuseables are a little old school, but still work well,once you do a few it is easy.

1968 Case 580CK

What I recommend, is that you find a Fastenal store and buy a roll of Weatherhead hose in the sizes you need, and buy reuseable fittings. Your Case should have npt fittings which are common reuseable ends. Weatherhead is a reputable name and Fastenal sells quite a bit of it. Some of the college kids that work there might give you a blank stare so I would hit the net and have part numbers in hand. I think they use Weatherheads numbers with a prefix so it really isn't too hard. Reuseables are a little old school, but still work well,once you do a few it is easy.
repowerguy......Thanks for that idea....there is a Fastenal only a few miles from me. If I were to buy a roll of the Weatherhead hose, then I would need some type of crimping machine or a way to make the ends? Or is this something Fastenal would provide? Sorry, Im new to the hydraulic line making process.

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
I thought that Case had SAE O ring boss fittings.... and the hoses are JIC flare, maybe one of the Case experts will chime in and verify. So im not sure what is easier than taking the hoses to Parker store and then installing the new ones on the same fittings that are on the tractor- hoe.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I am more of a Deere guy so Case may use JIC fittings but you can get those too in a reuseable. The outer socket screws on the hose first then the inner screws in the socket only tools needed are wrenches, really easy!

1968 Case 580CK

davo......Im not sure about the SAE O ring boss fittings (but I believe there are not o rings). As the pics show, these are all crimped onto the hose, and it seems it would be a major hassle to reuse these old ends. Nearest Parker location is almost an hour drive....alot of running to/fro for hoses. Only have two large quick disconnects, which are the feed/return running to the backhoe.

1968 Case 580CK

repowerguy......I will ask about the reuseable type, and see what happens.....and how the price compares to standard crimp type.

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
I am choosing to go slow on the hyd. line replacement. If it weeps or breaks it gets my attention. The latest was a return line that was capable of moving 20 gallons of fluid out of the machine in less than a minute, out of view of the operator station, (when you smell it or notice the functions changing it's too late). I don't worry too much about the high pressure side as it more likely to be caught early with a lot less spill.

So my latest trip to the hyd. shop concerned this hose from the brake peddle.
20150513_062443.jpg
It has a couple of drops of fluid weeping out. Looks to me like the severe bend might be the cause. Hyd shop told me that a hose needs to have enough extra to accommodate the shrinking when the pressure is increased, (didn't know that). Looking at the hard line above it with the nifty circle in it and I thought maybe I could do something similar to replace this with a hard line. Hyd. shop said that their bender does not do circles. Also dealing with brakes I have the accumulator to deal with as well as bleeding out any air that gets in during replacement. All this for something that isn't broke yet. May be I need to find something else to do.

Delmer

davo......Im not sure about the SAE O ring boss fittings

Nearest Parker location is almost an hour drive....alot of running to/fro for hoses.

The fitting is between the hose and the valve in the pics, it has O ring boss threads going into the valve body, and JIC mating with the hose. You can change the fitting to change the thread style on the hose, but that's emergency redneck engineering.

A two hour drive for that quantity of hoses could be the best time you spend on this project. Unless you're doing a couple at a time, then you might as well wait for them to fail. The reusable ends aren't cheap, especially if they're not going to be reused most likely.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
The Reusable ends are more $$ but you can use them numerous times and can assemble a hose in the field with two cresent wrenches and I mean in a field!

hosspuller

1968 Case
I couldn't help noticing the rear of your machine looks like it's supported by only a jack in the pic.

Your situation is easily fixed with a couple blocks of wood. Leave the jack in place , place wood blocks to support the machine. Relieve some of the pressure on the jack.

Always block a lift if possible. If anything goes south, the load only drops a short way.

Stay safe & enjoy the machine.

Delmer

The Reusable ends are more $$ but you can use them numerous times and can assemble a hose in the field with two cresent wrenches and I mean in a field!

Exactly, and if he was putting it on a log loader clam it would be more likely to be needed. A restored 50 year old backhoe is will be perfectly happy with "disposable" hoses.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Exactly, and if he was putting it on a log loader clam it would be more likely to be needed. A restored 50 year old backhoe is will be perfectly happy with "disposable" hoses.

:iagree:exactly

I'd be tempted to replace a few at a time, stating with the ones that look the worse or as it is opened up some right now the ones that would be easiest now and leave the ones out in the open for a later date.

One good point, take pictures and label things if taking off more than one hose. A handy thing to use are the different colored zip ties you can by at places like NAPA. Put red zip tie on fittings of one hose then one on the hose. Red hose goes to the two red fittings. Do this before taking pictures will help too! If you can't find the colored zip ties you could always go to dollar store and buy several colors of cheap nail polish, just be ready for strange looks at the check out counter:tong

Last edited: