1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

best mini excavator opinions on the current market

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by trombeur, Nov 19, 2021.

1. trombeur

trombeur Senior Member

hi sorry if I disturb, could kindly which in your opinion in the current market is the best mini excavator, the most practical manageable safe, such as the weight, the measures and the ideal power to do a bit of all the work both in the construction sector and in the agricultural sector landscaping and forestry. thanks sorry for the unusual question.
    KUBOTA U55-4?
    KX040-4 di Kubota??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dakota_56 likes this.
  2. catalystgilles

catalystgilles Member

We've got a KX-040 that we like. It has been good for about 2 years with no real issues.

Pros:
    Good digging power even with added tilt unit length
    So far everything has been easy to maintain.
    Exhaust doesn't Regen much if you run it throttled up when working.
    The 6 way blade is really handy for a do it all machine on small residential jobs.

Minor annoyances are:
    Cab is pretty tight
    Controls are fast, but almost too twitchy
    We use it with a helac tilt unit and the extra weight makes it tippy with more than the ditching bucket.

Dislike:
    The pin style quick change system is too loose.

If we were looking again today I would be focusing on Deere, Kubota, and Takeuchi. We would like to get a 20k lb machine next year now that we are starting to use the dump truck more. The TB290 is probably the current leader from basic research.

KSSS and John Griffin like this.
  3. trombeur

trombeur Senior Member

I believe that the ideal weight for a handyman machine is 3 maximum 4 tons to do small and maybe bigger jobs, I could be wrong, I think an excavator on 3 tons I could use it for the campaign for construction and landscaping works, of the famous caterpillar komatsu , volvo hitachi and bobcat what do you think, what limits and qualities do you attribute to it, I think the kubota is spartan but generous in terms of performance, weight and power. am I wrong ?? takeuchi I don't know them unfortunately.

upload_2021-11-19_17-57-1.jpeg

4. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I don't know that there is really a bad mini out there. Saying what is best, is really about what features you want, which machine you prefer to run, and which dealer you prefer to work with. Machines in the size your looking for beyond the machines you listed, I would consider the Wacker Neuson ET42. Very impressive performance and they are built just North of you.

Steve Frazier likes this.
  5. Aarons81

Aarons81 Well-Known Member

Wacker makes many decent things. The hydraulics on there excavators leaves something to be desired. I've ran all of there minis up to the 100 series, and they just don't have a smooth feel to the controls. Sometimes it actually delays and doesn't stop where you want it, or delays and then you over correct and smack something. Just my personal opinion on Wacker. I'm not swinging iron every day so I've opted for the midrange equipment until we are really seeing more of that work. I've got a case-cx37c, a LB 80X3, and a JD 160lc. We only put about a 1000k hours a year on the smaller stuff, and the 160 is a work horse doing 8-10 hr days 6 days a week. It doesn't have a hard job, but it doesn't stop all day. I like most name brand mini's other than wacker and bobcat.

6. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    If you get a chance to run the WN ET series of machines, do so, and see what you think.

They handle much different than the older series of machines.

Aarons81 likes this.
  7. uffex

uffex Senior Member

Admin
    Good day
    May be of interest.
    Kind regards
    Uffex

Attached Files:

8. Canuck Digger

Canuck Digger Well-Known Member

Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
    Out of the mainstream brands I don't think there are "bad" brands. They're all just a little different with different strengths and weaknesses. First and foremost, define your needs! See/run as many as you can. Make sure u can get parts. Is zero tail swing of importance? Are you running attachments? What are you transporting the machine with? You'll slowly start to eliminate a lot of models. Pick something with a Kubota or Yanmar power.

uffex and Steve Frazier like this.
  9. CapnDean

CapnDean Active Member

and while you are comparing machines.....make sure you make a fiar comparison. I just sold a Cat 303.5 and bought a Volvo ECR58D. The difference is night & day but the comoparison is unjust. Comparing a 30 HP 4 ton machine to a 50 HP 6 ton machine. Not even close.

10. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

And that cuts both directions. I'd be handicapped with your new machine on many of the jobs I have to do. It is really a subjective question with no right answer.

Simon C and Aarons81 like this.
  11. zeroo

zeroo Charter Member

plumbing contractor
    I stumbled on to this thread and have to mention that in my kx040 you can see the ground from the cab in the area around the track controls. Kubota did not try to seal the cab, at all. The only thing that keeps the outside out in the floor is the kinda loose fitting floor mat. I hope its something the new -5 series address.

12. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I run a John Deere 35G for my daily machine. I rented a 303.5 Cat and just got off it a bit ago, and my impression is, I prefer the JD. For whatever reason the 303.5 seems a bit less stable. Both machines have angle blades, my JD has a cab. Both are the current model offering.
    One of the features the 303.5 has is a blade float option, and that annoyed me as well. I want the blade to go down and stabilize my machine, and not have to monkey around getting down pressure out of it.