• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best grease?

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I have been using LUBRIPLATE No. 3000 Tacky, Moly-Lithium Type, Extreme Pressure Greases

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Just an update about Schaeffer grease in Canada. I sent a couple of emails to Schaeffer and was contacted by a rep in Ontario. He sent me a case of 30 tubes on account to my door. It couldn't have been easier and the price was reasonable. I am now converting over as my guns run out.

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
Just an update about Schaeffer grease in Canada. I sent a couple of emails to Schaeffer and was contacted by a rep in Ontario. He sent me a case of 30 tubes on account to my door. It couldn't have been easier and the price was reasonable. I am now converting over as my guns run out.
What formula did you go with? good for you it'll searve you well.

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
I went with #238 #2 as it seemed the best for my applications. I will just have to have a tube or two around of non-moly aluminium complex to be able to do my trailer wheel bearings.

AMPRO

Occupation
I am an AMSOIL Dealer
Synthetic-Grease.com

Hello Everyone,

I would like to tell everyone about this new synthetic grease from AMSOIL. This Polymeric Grease is far superior to lithium grease because the calcium-sulphonate tickener withstands washout and pound out far better. I would encourage you to at lease check out the site, watch the video of the test and maybe try a tube of it. synthetic-grease.com Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
AMPRO

Mccahilldozing

Occupation
Sheriff's Sergeant
I have had pretty good luck with Frontier Performance Lubricants out here in California. They make a heavy duty grease called Silver 70. I have found that it works really well for multiple aplications such as bearings and pins. Its expensive but I think its worth the cost. I use it on my D8 and I have yet to have a problem with it. Its about double the cost of Chevron grease but it stays in alot better. Has anyone tried Frontier products?

AMPRO

Occupation
I am an AMSOIL Dealer
Synthetic Grease

I am glad to here you have found a product that works for you. One thing I would be curious to know is how the product stands up to pound out. This is just one of the areas where the AMSOIL Polymeric grease tends outperform all other greases. Take a look at this video and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
AMPRO

Thixo

I have may have missed any reference to Thixogrease from Power Up / Maryn International in Calgary. It has been spec'd by Boeing and Bell for use in some of their helicopters. Companies like these do extensive testing before certifying anything. So if they're satisfied Thixogrease has the performance and safety issues covered then use in land equipment is not an issue.

sea_goin_dude

Pins and bushings, first off, you should have or be using hard chromed pins.... If not, get some and you will be ahead of the wearing game. Whether pins for connector links or king pins / king bolts for your axles. Get HARD CHROMED PINS. Working industrial maintenance for years, we used lube reserviors on lots of machine bearings etc. They work like bearing buddies for trailer wheel bearings. Always keeping some pressure on the grease to replace any that leaks away etc. They have spring pistons (like the BB's) and keep lube available even if they are missed on a regular scheduled lube job. The reservoir keeps lube available at all times if normal lube is pushed, beat, or washed out. They come in many sizes so check your supplier, Grangers, etc for what is available. Might help with your wear problems. They can be used anywhere a zerk fitting is used, On that axle to keep those king pins lubed too. Hope this is useful in some applications, There are lube (grease) and oil reservoirs so use the ones that fit your application needs

blitz138

there is not a one grease fits all. Grease does different things, high speed low load, high load low speed, shock factor, temp factors, lots of other things. Different complex grease serve differently as well as the additive packages. At Trapper coal mine we use Belray 8626 on all the heavy equipment, 3% moly? heavy load low speed. Tried other greases and always come back to belray, its aluminum complex which is alot different then the other lithiums most others are made from. I know the shaeffer is lithium semi synth I think it has moly. Both are EPs which is why neither will pound out. Ill have to see if I can look at the product sheets and compare them. It would be interesting to see the timken test and the viscosity differences.

Reminds me eveyone has there opinions but look at the data sheets for everything your looking at
Timken for high wear
4 ball test for weld and speed vs pressure
the higher viscosity the better
additive packages (moly)

blitz138

daman,

I have researched grease for a long time and came to the same concussion as you. You need to have moly and a base that is not going to mix with water. The problem I have with calcium is it does not mix well with some other greases that a person might have been using previously and could be hard to remove (tracks, house gears) before switching to calcium. I use aluminium complex with moly from a supplier in western Canada. You cannot get Schaeffer in Canada for a reasonable price unless you have a local user or buy large quantities. For some reason aluminium complex with moly is not an easy find in our area. In the past I did use a red tacky aluminium grease without moly and found it lasted about half the time of the aluminium with moly before the bushings started to clack.

Make sure you research before mixing greases!!!! Calcium sulf doesnt play well with others, dumping lithium over it or viseversa can make glue! Mixing thickeners can rip a machine in half

Thixo

Calcium sulphonate plays well with most other thickeners

I have a compatability chart for greases if anyone wants a copy. Just email me bill.hayward@maryngroup.com

Also, for operating temperatures between -40C and +250C there is a "one grease fits all" product. Contact me if you want more information.

blitz138

Thixo,
You mean something like this

http://www.finalube.com/reference_material/grease_compatibility_chart.htm

Any grease that works -40 to 250C might work but if your going to be able to pump it through a automatic grease system at low temps its going to be 00 or at least a 0. Usually the the base stock on arctic grease is very low visc. You take a grease with base viscosity 70 centistokes at -30* it will drop below 20 centistokes at 70*. When the above chart lists thickeners as borderline the wrong additive package can make it incompatible.

Thixo

I realize a "one grease fits all" solution doesn't help your business. Our clients have proven our solution to this issue so we'll go with their exeriences and results.

In the chart you supplied it seems to indicate your comment "Calcium sulf doesnt play well with others, dumping lithium over it or viseversa can make glue!" is 100% inaccurate. Either that or you should make up a new chart that supports what you want others to believe.

old1

Occupation
Selfemplyed
I have found this thread to be very educational. Nothing is better than first hand experience.

Looks like I will be using different grease on our equipment.

Thank You All