• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best grease?

tw_692000

Occupation
heavy equipment opperator /assistant foreman
We use mystic JT6. I do a lot of custom farming and run six john deere tractors and six hay cutters, two round balers, a and three square balers. I also have a john deere 328 skid steer, and a D4G dozer. I don't have any problems with universal joints on cutters or balers or anything. I baled over 10,000 round bales this year. I am very pleased with this grease.

i use the same grease it works very well ,but its tough to grease ur machine in the winter time ya got to keep it in the cab for a while because its tough to get it out of the gun !!!

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Li'l trick I sometimes use when it's cold out is to stick the plain jane metal type gun in the exhaust stack for about 5 minutes to warm the grease. Works great.

GOINGBROKE

Occupation
Diesel shop owner - truck, farm and heavy equipmen
Lucas Red and Tacky exspensive but good

Cavalo

Occupation
Dependant backhoe contractor for provincial natura
I was using Lubriplate #1242 (white grease) but found that i would pound out, this is after I was using Swepco (which was expensive and would not flow unless the sun shined on the gun). I am now using Lubriplate with moly, and that is perfect, not to expensive yet doesnt wash out or pound out. Nice and tacky........... like a soft caramilk bar on the dash in the sun in Arizona!

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
We get the workshop to make a mount in the engine compartement to hang the grease gun in.
Preferably in the hot cooling air from the engine.
Gives us no problems in the winter, when u need greasing after a day's work.

Grease guns in the cabin mostly give u grease in the cabin too...

ben46a

Irving moly in our Autolube systems. Irving EP premium in our Ujoints and bearings. In our silt handling machine and our mini we use cat ultra 5 moly.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
I use a good quality moly based grease (lucas pennzoil Synthetics). something i do and can get messy till you get a good system worked out is to buy a bunch of powdered graphite and mix int the grease. it adds quite a bit more lubricity to the stuff and seems to help keep dust out of it too since it has been saturated with powder already, except this powder is actually lubrication! graphite grains are also slightly bigger than the average dust grain helping to keep the dust from wearing into the metal.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums mrnick777! :drinkup

elirock83

chevron ultra duty grease, ep 1 in winter ep 2 in summer. This stuff is really tacky, for years we had ran mobil's construction mining grease (summer and winter formulas) this stuff is less tacky but still very good. we would still be using it if our mobil dealer hadn't decided they only needed our business when it worked for them. We also use syns & molys but only on special things: over size breaker, certain crushers, blast hole drill, etc. Family runs small limestone quarry

Boots

I like red tacky greases in the summer and moly grease in the winter. The tacky grease seems to hold really well on pto shafts and U joints in the heat. the Moly seems to retain it's flexibility better in the winter.

We used to use Mystic JT6 and Mystic Moly grease in the winter. After finding out that Hugo Chavez owned Citgo and Mystic greases, I couldn't buy his products in America with a clear conscience. I know that one ranch in CO dropping his products won't make any difference to him, but after hearing his comments toward and about our country, it does to me. Mystic has taken all reference to being owned by Citgo off their packaging.

I started on a search for a new grease and I found the Valvoline Crimson to be just as good and cheaper. I honestly can't tell the difference, it is just as red and just as tacky. I've also heard that the Lucas red grease is very good and tacky, but much more expensive. I find it curious that all red tacky greases are high heat and the exact same color, I mean identical, does any one else find that a little bit strange?

I wonder if there is one processing plant in Houston making red grease, and putting the same product in different packages and laughing at all of us saying that this red grease is so much better than that red grease?

southtxfarmer

We changed over to Mystic about ten years ago. A lot has changed in ten years. I just made the move to Mantek grease. They are a gease company not a fuel company. They carry patents on there grease and spend a lot of time and money on research, development, and quality control. I am using Mantek Elite. Multi-purpose, heavy load, extreme pressure, high temp grease in an aluminum complex base with moly and graphite. A little pricy but I can not handle down time. I'm very happy with it. The sales man is not pushy or a pain in the ars. Mantek.com.
Ii