• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best filter?

56wrench

just for information, baldwin makes a very good cross-reference book and sometimes you don't even need the manufacturer - just the number and it can usually tell you the manufacturer. their application book is not as good though. I prefer the book but I think it is also on their website. I prefer fleetguard but also use Donaldson or baldwin. sometimes you don't have much of a choice in my area

Delmer

Most of my stuff, fram is fine, but donaldson or baldwin aren't much more either, and you can't get odd ones in Fram. I cut open most of the filters I've changed, and never found a failure in a canister oil filter. Some cartridge filters put together wrong. A fuel filter that separated inside, but it had been on for years. I figure the filter doesn't burn up or leak oil, or make the engine overheat, so it's not likely to kill it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The guy in the video said the filters were return filters? Kind of soured me on his production right to start with. Next item is that he doesn't define what quality means. He put some good examples but doesn't state why the center reinforcement is better or even why it might be needed. Lastly, the filter media quality isn't something you can just hold in your hands and decide one is better than the other. One might be longer and more bunched up in the canister but maybe lets a larger particle go through. Maybe the media traps smaller particles and plugs up faster. In truth all filter media used for automotive engines is made of cellulose. It's basically wood fiber.
My last point is that it is never defined by anyone what is actually needed as far as a filter goes. I would venture that if you change your oil often, there is a good chance with today's advanced oils and automotive engines that you may not need a filter at all. The presenter is basically stating opinion without real facts to back them up.
If you want to read some good material on engine oil filters, check out this link. It has plenty of propaganda but enough kernels of truth that you might be able to use in the future.
https://www.cat.com/en_US/campaigns/awareness/intro-cat-filters.html

Clawed Backster

Bought a couple of NAPA Gold filters, and after I had a few hours on the first one, I put a fresh one on last weekend. Didn't even start the machine until this afternoon. Got about 100 feet before the machine stopped moving. Thought I was back to the old transmission problems until I saw the large stream of oil behind me. Believe it or not, one of the filters had no rubber gasket on it. Should I have noticed that it was missing when I installed the filter? Obviously! Of course I had discarded the other filter yesterday, or I could have retrieved the gasket off of it.
Yes, I should have noticed, but I am more than a little bit irritated that a premium filter was missing the sealing gasket.
Guess I should have stuck with $3 Fram filters from Wally's. Lol

Welder Dave

You're supposed to oil the rubber gasket before you install the filter. Know a guy with an auto repair shop that had the gasket stay on when removing the old filter but didn't notice when putting the new filter on. He also had an auto salvage and replaced the engine for his customer because the oil leaked out. Customer should have noticed the oil gauge or idiot light but he blamed it on being tired. He had spent 12 hours running my skid steer all night clearing snow. I was working full time and he said I shouldn't let my snow contracts go. I don't know if I'd consider a Napa Gold a premium filter but should be decent enough.

edgephoto

NAPA Gold filters are WIX. Parts numbers are even the same except for a leading digit. They are good quality but Donaldson filter are better quality.

Double gasketing is always something you should check for. You spin off the old filter and the gasket stays on the filter mount not the filter. Once this happens to you it will never happen again. You will always check for this. Besides the embarrassment of having all the oil leak out, possible mechanical damage and cleaning up a huge mess are enough to make you add a step to your work process and look for the old seal.

Clawed Backster

NAPA Gold filters are WIX. Parts numbers are even the same except for a leading digit. They are good quality but Donaldson filter are better quality.

Double gasketing is always something you should check for. You spin off the old filter and the gasket stays on the filter mount not the filter. Once this happens to you it will never happen again. You will always check for this. Besides the embarrassment of having all the oil leak out, possible mechanical damage and cleaning up a huge mess are enough to make you add a step to your work process and look for the old seal.

Believe it or not, I did look to make sure that the gasket came off with the old filter. I just didn't make sure that the new filter had one on it.