1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Best Demolition excavator.

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by mxsledder, Jul 25, 2014.

1. mxsledder

mxsledder Well-Known Member

I'm not posting this to start a war whatsoever. I'm in the market for a larger excavator for strictly demolition use. I've used a volvo ec 360 b and a cat 320 cl for lots of demolition use. Both worked well but the cat was very loose in the bucket pins at only 3000 hours.
    What's everyone's take on what excavator is best suited for the severe nature of heavy demolition projects? And is there any brands to stay away from with this type of work?
    Thanks in advance

2. FSERVICE

FSERVICE Senior Member

you say larger excavator, I would suggest a CAT 375 (their old #) there is a demo contractor here that has 10 that have held up very well to the attachments (BIG hammers, munchers, shears & grapples) normal wear & tear but they are built heavy enough to take the abuse & hold up very well.. (I do all the repairs on them)

3. DoyleX

DoyleX Senior Member

Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
    Wasnt there a thread about roadbuilders a few weeks back? I think one of those would be choice.

4. stumpjumper83

stumpjumper83 Senior Member

Movin dirt
    Since a lot of demo work is above the operator, a dedicated machine for demo should be configured for that work as well. Now forestry knucklebooms are designed for working above the height of the tracks, they are well guarded. Good fire suppression. 48" bypass grapples with rotators are common. A lot have a heel boom that if you grabbed ahold of an ibeam with would extend reach. Whats your thoughts?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fd/2c/e1/fd2ce1e4608cbb90e66eafa4855c0908.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. Wolf

Wolf Senior Member

What kind of buildings will you be knocking down with this excavator, MXSLEDDER?

6. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    Not a Komatsu. They are nice hoes but IMO their over engineered hyd system can be a real PITA. You tend to bust a lot of hoses in demo increasing the chance of contamination. That caused us a lot of hell with them.

7. Roo_Attachments

Roo_Attachments Member

CEO - Roo Attachments
    Hello MXSLEDDER have you looked at hitachi? i think they might be a deer in your neck of the woods. we have supplied a lot of guys in australia who do Demo work with grabs and a lot of them have been hitachi excavators. what type of demo work are you doing mate?