• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best compromise on a new tool box

barklee

Hi Gents
Think i decided today that its time to upgrade the old trusty craftsman tool box and step up to the big leagues! Tired of not being able to keep everything in one box, too far of a walk back and forth for this and that.
I think i want a box something like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-KRL7023-Orange-Tool-Box-ToolBox-Work-Mat-WE-SHIP-/121871073463
However, i dont want to pay the premium for a Snapon box...... So my question is: Are there any less expensive alternatives to this type box that will hold up to moderate/ light use? I know you get what you pay for but i dont think our level of use justifies a box of this expense.
What would you recommend and why?
Thanks

Shimmy1

Last edited:

lantraxco

Whatever you get, throw the casters away, build an angle or tube frame base for the toolbox with some proper oversize casters with parking brakes and swivel locks, maybe a fold down step rail along the front. You won't regret it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I know in my area of SC.. there are a TON of boxes on craigs list.. some with tools for that price.. just a thought..

check

The problem with a lot of the new giant tool boxes is that they have few and deep drawers. How thick is a wrench? Do you want wrenches and sockets 4 layers deep so you have to dig every time you're looking for something?
I've been thinking of getting a couple older Craftsman boxes and fastening them together to make one large box. I avoid the bottom boxes that don't have drawers all the way down.

mikebramel

I had a very similar box in blue.... Great idea at the time. Around here you can get a used box like that for as low as 2500 on craigslist. That would be a quick selling deal. They are a nice box, you can stand in the drawers. However, I had a MB series Matco before, which I traded in. That box was better built and those boxes, without the Snap On name sell for half the price. Just make sure whatever brand you get, it's 30" deep. Otherwise as has been said, you can go to Harbor Freight or Menards. And they do sell a decent box for decent use. I had a 1.5" drive socket set in my top Harbor Freight 44" drawer.

Wes J

I've had a Mac Tech 1000 box for 12 years used professionally for about half that time and daily the rest. No complaints. I made an oak top for it and mounted a vise. Matco and Cornwell also make good boxes.

Another tier down, but still USA are Kennedy and Waterloo. They are cheaper and it shows.

There are some industrial boxes made by Lista, Vidmar, etc, but in my experience they cost just as much as the tool truck brands and aren't any better.

I have no experience with the foreign made stuff.

IMG_0433.jpg

Wes J

The problem with a lot of the new giant tool boxes is that they have few and deep drawers. How thick is a wrench? Do you want wrenches and sockets 4 layers deep so you have to dig every time you're looking for something?

I used to think like this. But, deeper drawers are often more efficient if organized correctly.

IMG_0435.jpg

Jonas302

We have one of the masterforce boxes from menards in the shop I will say it has impressed me My personal one is a used mac bought off the snap on truck so dont be afraid to let the snap on guy know you dont want to spend that much they take tons of trade ins often have them stored somewhere off truck

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Have you looked at Lista or Vidmar? They are built very well, add your own caster/wheels.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
I have a Snap-On KRL7022 roll cab with matching top and full size side locker..

Could be had for a reasonable price :cool:

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
As far as the foreign made stuff goes, when I quit my real job and went full time self employed, I bought a Homak roll around 2 box chest from NAPA for $800 to replace my cheap homeowner grade Craftsman and have been very satisfied with it. Very well built with more drawers than I have tools for so far. Slides are smooth and strong enough to support a lot of weight. Doesn't have that snap on name on it but the name doesn't do the work. Craftsman now has a nice pro grade box with latches built into the pull handles. I have a 5 drawer screwed down on the bed of my service truck and it handles rough roads and lots of tools well.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
I have a SHD series box from sears. It has the drawer latches, and its a decent box. International makes the SHD box for napa and sears. So it gives you some options to get better pricing. Sears always puts things on sale, so check online often. IMO the snap on boxes were overpriced, and the mac boxes were way over priced. The SHD box was about the same quality, but a fraction of the price. There's lots of reviews online, so take a look and judge for yourself. Heres a few

http://www.sears.ca/product/interna...drawer-cabinet-blue/609-000292359-BL02954AASP

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Internat...-21-Drawer-Cabinet-Black-SRB-7321BK/204238324

Last edited:

barklee

I have a SHD series box from sears. It has the drawer latches, and its a decent box. International makes the SHD box for napa and sears. So it gives you some options to get better pricing. Sears always puts things on sale, so check online often. IMO the snap on boxes were overpriced, and the mac boxes were way over priced. The SHD box was about the same quality, but a fraction of the price. There's lots of reviews online, so take a look and judge for yourself. Heres a few

http://www.sears.ca/product/interna...drawer-cabinet-blue/609-000292359-BL02954AASP

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Internat...-21-Drawer-Cabinet-Black-SRB-7321BK/204238324

I will have to check those out. Would definitely like to see it in person before i ever bought it though. Our local sears doesnt stock them but would probably order it in and i could return if i didnt like it. Problem is that unless they go on sale for much less than it is right now, you can buy a lightly used snap on box for the same price.
I will also check out the howmak box. I have heard a couple guys say they arent bad.
I was going to run over to Menards today and see the masterforce boxes, hopefully they will do the trick because the price is right.
Still keeping my eyes peeled for a snap on box used, but it seems like 2500 is the price for what i want which is just more than im willing to spend. Maybe 1500 but thats about it.
Thanks for all the info, i shall follow up on these!

Wes J

All those cheap china boxes are only 18" deep. Some of the more expensive ones are 20" deep. My Mac box is 24" deep, and some are now 28" deep. That makes a huge difference in capacity.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
One thing I did this summer while doing some mobile work was put metric in one box and sae in the other, it made moving around easier. You could do the same with another smaller box now, just a thought....

Truck Shop

The newest thing I have is 15 years old. I have a 88 Cornwell Brute bottom box, 1975 Mac top box, Matco and Snap on side boxes. I never move the boxes.
I went to using a tool cart years ago. Way more portable and easier to move from one end of the shop to the other. Tools I need everyday are in that cart
and the boxes are just for storage. At sixty I'm too old and don't want to invest in anymore iron. Although I do have a Snap On 3/4 drive ratchet head and six
Snappy 3/4 drive sockets made in 1939 that i use.