• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BELAZ 450 ton dump truck specifications released along with a model of the truck!!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I just found out that the total life of the trucks where I am right now has been increased to 150k hours from the 120k hours it that was originally set it at about 10 years ago.

What is the expected hours they are hoping to work those trucks in a years time? I know they are not going to be run just 40/50 hours a week then be parked for around 4 months due to snow like many of the machines at the quarry where I retired from five years back!

In some cases running a machine close to 24/7 can be easier on it than what our machines had to deal with, no cold starts every morning or condensation on cylinder liners from sitting for a a few months over the winter.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What is the expected hours they are hoping to work those trucks in a years time? I know they are not going to be run just 40/50 hours a week then be parked for around 4 months due to snow like many of the machines at the quarry where I retired from five years back!

In some cases running a machine close to 24/7 can be easier on it than what our machines had to deal with, no cold starts every morning or condensation on cylinder liners from sitting for a a few months over the winter.
Our estimate is/was 7000 hours/yr.

suladas

I just found out that the total life of the trucks where I am right now has been increased to 150k hours from the 120k hours it that was originally set it at about 10 years ago.

That's crazy, did not think they would last that long. Amazing things like the frame will last that long.

Welder Dave

Some of the big electric shovels and draglines go well over 100,000 hours and are on the job for 30 years or more. Some of the longest running shovels/draglines moved more than 3/4 of a million yards of material.

alco

Some of the big electric shovels and draglines go well over 100,000 hours and are on the job for 30 years or more. Some of the longest running shovels/draglines moved more than 3/4 of a million yards of material.

Much, much more than that. My shovel moves about 16 million yards a year.

It’s also sitting at around 137,000 hours.

Welder Dave

It would be interesting to know how many hours were on the Silver Spade (last operating stripping shovel) before it finally wore out. Sad they scrapped it as it was in the process of digging itself out of the cut for display. If below is correct the Silver Spade must have the record for most overburden removed by a single bucket, 607,226,370 cubic yds. Somehow I think there's 3 extra digits but maybe not after 40 years.

The Silver Spade's final production day was April 3, 2006. After that, she proceeded to climb out of the final pit and head for a designated resting place. But before she arrived, a breakdown occurred on April 10 leaving the shovel dead in her tracks and marking the end of an era. She had served her owners well during her active life, moving a total of 607,226,370 cubic yards of overburden. The Spade's final fate is unknown at the time of writing, but a local preservation group wants to see the shovel preserved as a tourist attraction.

Cmark

It would be interesting to know how many hours were on the Silver Spade (last operating stripping shovel) before it finally wore out. Sad they scrapped it as it was in the process of digging itself out of the cut for display. If below is correct the Silver Spade must have the record for most overburden removed by a single bucket, 607,226,370 cubic yds. Somehow I think there's 3 extra digits but maybe not after 40 years.

The Silver Spade's final production day was April 3, 2006. After that, she proceeded to climb out of the final pit and head for a designated resting place. But before she arrived, a breakdown occurred on April 10 leaving the shovel dead in her tracks and marking the end of an era. She had served her owners well during her active life, moving a total of 607,226,370 cubic yards of overburden. The Spade's final fate is unknown at the time of writing, but a local preservation group wants to see the shovel preserved as a tourist attraction.

they probably just need to reseal the swivel

Welder Dave

19 of the 100 rollers for the swing frame popped out from being worn out and apparently would have cost over a million $$$ to repair. Also coming out of the pit was in a bad location to do the repair. The $700,000 scrap value was raised but the owners of the shovel wanted another 1.6 million for the land and for reclamation of the site for a museum. Would have been nice to save it and Big Muskie. They will never be replaced.

Jewish

75710 + 75710 + 75711 (still waiting for the body to be installed) in one place, pics taken today.

FBp4UoG.jpg

KaRG6lF.jpg

mm8T9us.jpg

rLRn7hK.jpg

Reactions: DB2

Welder Dave

There was only 1 Terex Titan but it actually moved a lot of material working at an actual mine and it wasn't babied. It was the largest truck in the world for years with 350 ton capacity. They said continual overloading in the 450-500 ton range was what caused major cracking in the differential housing. It never went into production because of bad timing after it came out. It's way past the time for Belaz to have put some trucks on an actual jobsite. They appear to be just throwing gobs of money away on something that will never become a reality.

Welder Dave

Will never become a reality as in will never be put into production. How many years has it been since they started on this?

Jewish

Open your eyes, they are already in production.

You better tell me how many 400+ ton trucks has CAT, Liebherr or Komatsu? Zero. They will never reach Belaz's level. Losers and outsiders. Belaz always had most bold ideas.

Welder Dave

So how many have been built and in what time frame? How many have actually been sold? Cat, Liebherr and Komatsu have actually sold hundreds if not thousands of 400 ton class trucks that are used all over the world. Name one mine site that has a fleet of more than 2 operating Belaz trucks running 24/7? In terms of tons of material moved in mining trucks, mentioning Belaz is more likely to have crickets chirping. Bold ideas that never materialize to more than the prototype stage are just that... bold idea's. Until there proven on several job sites they're just pipe dreams.

Just like earthing moving equipment for loading, a bigger bucket doesn't necessarily mean higher production. In the case of a truck there are several determining factors. As an example carrying 50 more tons but having to travel 5-10 MPH slower would have less daily/weekly production than carrying a slightly smaller payload at a higher speed. What is the fuel consumption per ton of material moved? Other things to consider are component life and tire life. Maintenance and repair parts availability is also very important for such a large machine.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Okay, seen a few pictures of a truck but how about a picture showing a small fleet of them?

Just thinking the bare minimum number of trucks that size needed to keep any operation functioning would be half a dozen. Just assuming one will be down for an oil change and fueling now and then. So if there was only two the whole operation of the plant would be put on hold waiting for the next truck several times a day. And what happens to the operation if one truck needs a major servicing and another has a flat tire?

I'm sure Nige would have a better grasp on the details of this nature.

At the comparatively small operation where I worked we usually had three 35-45 ton trucks hauling to the primary crusher and one old 35 ton for a spare if needed when something was wrong with the main truck. Also we were only running five ten hour days most of the time so that gave us some off production time to do repairs when needed.

Welder Dave

The facts are Belaz has a long way to go to be taken seriously in the mining world. Have they even done any long term evaluations on reliability and component life? Have they even put 10 or 20,000 hours on a truck? What is the expected life span of the trucks, what is the cost per ton to move material with the trucks. How does it compare to other brands? Cat, Liebherr and Komatsu know all these answers for their trucks.