• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Belarus 825 - needs a new clutch - any idea of rough cost to repair?

b825er

Looks like my 1996 Belarus 825 (81hp, 4wd, D-243 diesel, purchased used in 2011) can't take any more abuse from me, and is holding out for a new clutch; we pulled what looks like clutch material out it. It won't move backward at all, and will go forward a bit (if wind is blowing right) ...

Might anyone have a ballpark cost number for a tractor shop to split a tractor and get a new clutch plate in it? If I attempt it, it'll squash me like a bug ...

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's been 15 or so years ago but we used to do a clutch in similar machines for 1000-1200. If we got into the multi-power unit or dual power it was more. Not sure if yours has a setup like that. We had the existing clutch rebuilt if possible. It's really not that hard. I got to where certain fords and masseys I could have done in 6 hours if I wasn't waiting on parts.

A good floor jack and some solid cribing is all it takes to hold things up. Not as death defying as it appears.

Junkyard

b825er

It's been 15 or so years ago but we used to do a clutch in similar machines for 1000-1200.
A good floor jack and some solid cribing is all it takes to hold things up. Not as death defying as it appears.

Junkyard

Appreciate this! I'll roll that number forward & see what it comes to these days (PV) ... I have nothing but mud around me (no shop built yet to house the tractor and my coffee maker), so it might still fall over and squash me. The local tractor repair guys have a nice shop, and more importantly, no line of waiting tractors at the moment ... they could even pronounce Belarus correctly ... a good start ... Thanks again!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
lol yeah I can see the lack of solid footing being an issue! Those tractors are pretty simple so I can't see it being a huge time issue. May want to consider doing rear main seal and any hoses/freeze plugs, gaskets or anything that's easy to get to while it's split.

Junkyard

b825er

Called USA Belarus folks to see what their list of parts/costs are: $455 for clutch kit (disc, pressure plate, throwout bearings); will compare that to getting some of these things rebuilt/machined locally (but local is a 100 or so miles away from me); also $20 for rear main seal (not necessary, but while tractor is split). Given parts costs, 6 - 8 labor hours, shop fees & such, I'm estimating around $2000, which I'll pay just for the benefit of watching it done by someone else the 1st time (and not getting squashed) ...

Others have suggested these ancillary tasks:
- inspect/machine/replace flywheel if needed (don't take off more than 12 thousandths)
- rear main seal, any seals at transmission/driveshafts
- find/repaint all fill caps, grease fittings
- clean off all leaky stuff (I thought all topsoil was being lost to erosion, but we found it all underneath this thing), and inspect anything else visible/accessible while tractor is split
Anything obvious missing above?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I think you've got the general idea. Pretty much anything within reason that can be done while you're in there should be. Parts don't sound bad price wise.

sandy

Occupation
diesel mechanic
I would allow 2 days labour , You might get it done in 6 to 8 hours
But its an old tractor you got second hand
Its the fiddly little things that are siezzed , missing or broken that blow out the time.