1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

bed ladder and nerf bar, grab handles

Discussion in 'Welding' started by skyking1, Jan 29, 2021.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I started working on the delivery driver's 1 ton flatbed. He has been taking one of the sideboards off and using it to climb up on the bed. He's older than I, and pretty stove up in general. First project was a bed ladder.
    [​IMG]
    It's 14" to the top of the step and about equal spacing on the next and then to the bed. I put nonskid tape on the steps.
    I used 1 x 3 x .062 tubing for the step and 3 x 3/16 for the sides and top.
    There is a 3/4 lower lip on the bed and I designed it to hang on that lip. The two stainless bolts and washers and nylon washers clamp it to the bed. I kicked it back to an existing angle iron welded to the bed to support the gas fill piping.
    Next is a right hand rail that will be a piece if 1" sch 40 steel in a socket flush to the bed, removable for loading.
    I will aslo fab a proper left handle and attach to the headache rack.

2. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Steps and grab rails will make a huge improvement in his work day

56wrench and skyking1 like this.
  3. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks
    Good job, looking out for your co-worker. Big Ups! Write that up as a near miss report and make your safety folks happy.

skyking1 likes this.
  4. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

@Coaldust I will do that when it is complete. Safety guys like this!
    I got the nerf bar roughed in and I mounted it for testing. it is only .062 wall tubing so I was a bit concerned. It turned out fine so I took it back off and closed up the tubing and got some paint on it to cure over the weekend.
    PXL_20210129_221220438.jpg

doublewide and CM1995 like this.
  5. JLarson

JLarson Well-Known Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Nice, I've eaten it more times then I can count climbing on and off flatbeds and crane truck decks.

When I do flat steps like that I tack down cuts of expanded metal as "tread"

skyking1 likes this.
  6. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I had plenty of the grip tape on hand from the 16K trailer rebuild.

7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Finally got that last grab handle made and installed. The right hand tube is visible behind the sideboard in the first picture.
    [​IMG]

I picked up 3 mandrel bends from the welding supply for 1" tubing and cut the middle one custom.
    [​IMG]

DB2, doublewide, 59 North and 5 others like this.
  8. war hammer ranch

war hammer ranch New Member

That is a well thought out design and end product. Good Job.

skyking1 likes this.
  9. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I just got a sheet of the flat 1/2 for a screen. I might just do that now :)

10. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Just my $1.98 (.02 from 1973 plus inflation) but I don't like the flat expanded for steps, if I use any at all I get he raised type. YMMV

11. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I thought about that. The metals place only sells full sheets and had no raised metal. Probably keep the nonslip tape for now.

lantraxco likes this.