• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BC3 cam & follower issue

td25c

Question is, is this camshaft salvageable or should I just put a new one in it.?
20181205_121815[1].jpg
As mentioned up thread best course is replace cam & followers .

However ……. Story time , gather around everyone :)
Had a very similar problem while in framing a small cam 290 Cummins in my 1973 White years ago . One cam lobe looked a little " sketchy " but not flaking out or loosing metal yet . Noticed the cam follower roller looked far worse then the cam lobe . Yep …. Pulled the cam follower assembly , buffed around on the cam lobe a little with some emery cloth and replaced the bad roller . The joy of building a Cummins out in the driveway .:D

Never had any issues with it and truck made it to retirement .

When they start to give up the ghost you will notice flaking similar to this .
serveimageAM9SQNVF.jpg
serveimageLWGMJY7D.jpg

StanRUS

Never had any issues with it and truck made it to retirement .
td25c,
Linear lines on the camshaft like your example photos can be a tip-off that maintenance practices need improvement. Dirt in the oil from poor fill/refill practices like using galvanized 1 gallon can etc.

Pre-filling oil filters. Cummins okay per service manuals, Cat do not per engineers. Plug inner filter-thread bore with plastic cap and carefully fill with clean oil (outside to inside). Or use primer pump.

Cummins Biggest Cam Road Trucks
K-series 1150s were the highest horsepower engines ever installed in OEM US trucks starting 1976 with the KTA600 (23lb/ft torque per 1psi turbo boost). 5 trucks were built with KTTAC-HVT 750Hp engines; a few simple adjustment for 1,250+Hp / 66lb/ft torque per 1psi turbo boost. KTTAC = twin compounded turbos, aftercooled HVT = hydraulic variable timing.

Pete 379 glider Heavy Haul, 24K front axle, 4'9" rear axle spread 46,900lbs permitted, Murray 9 axle/75Tons / KTA700Hp+. Easy install requiring no extras holes drilled in the frame rails. Turn oil pan around and extend the pick up pipe tube for front sump. Engine retired/replaced with C18 600Hp
KTA 700_379.jpg KTA700.jpg
Australians are using Ks electronic update QSK19 for pulling 140T Road Trains.

Truck Puller K19 Modified approx 4KHp @ 4,000Rpm
KT19 super comp engien.png

Last edited:

td25c

td25c,
Linear lines on the camshaft like your example photos can be a tip-off that maintenance practices need improvement. Dirt in the oil from poor fill/refill practices like using galvanized 1 gallon can etc.

Like I tell the Wife every time she blows up at me ……. " Well … At least now I know that we have room for improvement ". :D

No end to it . LOL ! :)

All BS aside I am eager to see what My buddy's camshaft looks like in the 1979 KW big cam 290 ?

Will find out after he drops it off in a few weeks .

StanRUS

All BS aside I am eager to see what My buddy's camshaft looks like in the 1979 KW big cam 290 ?
BC 290s weren't hard on cams. Take few pics

If you're going to do a U-tube movie, a least do procedures right.
Example: Head bolt torquing; helper gripping torque wrench ahead of the handle. NTC-855 BC @ 285lb/ft final torque? Wrong unless the engine is BC4 with 1" longer head bolts.
Engine out of frame overhauls, I position so I can use body weight down pressure for torquing mains, rods, head bolts.

td25c

Cam looked fine the last time we had it open ( 18 years ago ) .

Engine acts like a piston failure . No knocking yet & still pulls good but massive blow by .

Cam might be in fine shape . Never know until ya open them up ?

Should be interesting . Will post a few pictures of it .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

If you're going to do a U-tube movie, a least do procedures right.
Example: Head bolt torquing; helper gripping torque wrench ahead of the handle. NTC-855 BC @ 285lb/ft final torque? Wrong unless the engine is BC4 with 1" longer head bolts.
Engine out of frame overhauls, I position so I can use body weight down pressure for torquing mains, rods, head bolts.
That bonehead is Jerking a torque wrench? And yeah, the grip point is wrong too.