• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Battery Powered Grease Gun

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I use hand grease guns too. The electrics can mess stuff up like the ceramic seals on Blackmer pumps. Or, electric motors. Over grease in a hurry.

cosmaar1

Well......... it seems to me that if you live in Anchorage you may want to check out a Milwaukee at the Home Depot. Otherwise I would go with the Makita. In fact, I just went with the Makita because I have a slew of the Makita batteries. At $100 apiece for a battery after you pick a brand it seems like you get locked into it. So far I've been happy with all the Makita tools I own, and I as I think about it that's over 20 different tools. I paid 220 some for the grease gun only on Amazon. I also bought these new lock and lube grease gun tips ...... we will see how they work out. If you can wait 2 weeks I'll give you an honest review on what I think of the grease gun. We go through a box of 10 tubes a week. So I should have a good idea after next week. I hope it's not a power hog like the Makita reciprocating saws. If so the guys will have to carry 2 extra batteries with them.
Yes please do. I’m thinking of seeing if the price drops around Black Friday timeframe.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I store my grease tubes on their side on a shelf in the garage. Haven't had much trouble getting a new tube to load in my Dewalt.

I ran it too long at the end of the first tube and it collapsed the tube. Made it a real bear to get out. Now as soon as it stops making a pumping sound I stop and change the tube.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Will do, In response to Coaldust I believe there will be some employee training involved. Very little of the greasing we do will harm the equipment if we over grease...I do the sealed bearing stuff my self to avoid problems. My concern is we will suddenly start using 2 cases a week instead of one. We use the Texas refinery stuff (see expensive). Hate to see big gobs of grease on the ground when they over grease. This is the main reason I have held off on the battery power greaser until now. . . and Makita did not make one

cosmaar1

Will do, In response to Coaldust I believe there will be some employee training involved. Very little of the greasing we do will harm the equipment if we over grease...I do the sealed bearing stuff my self to avoid problems. My concern is we will suddenly start using 2 cases a week instead of one. We use the Texas refinery stuff (see expensive). Hate to see big gobs of grease on the ground when they over grease. This is the main reason I have held off on the battery power greaser until now. . . and Makita did not make one
In all the videos Ive watched I found if you keep it in level 1 it’s a lot slower and more controlling. Level 2 will pour it out like a firehose until you get a bit of resistance.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
In all the videos Ive watched I found if you keep it in level 1 it’s a lot slower and more controlling. Level 2 will pour it out like a firehose until you get a bit of resistance.

What cosmaar1 said... My Milwaukee set on 1 is very controllable. It is easy to over grease on 2 if you do not pay attention. It could get expensive, but for me, the blobs of grease on the driveway can get me in hot water with the wife if tracked into the house:eek:.

cosmaar1

Well......... it seems to me that if you live in Anchorage you may want to check out a Milwaukee at the Home Depot. Otherwise I would go with the Makita. In fact, I just went with the Makita because I have a slew of the Makita batteries. At $100 apiece for a battery after you pick a brand it seems like you get locked into it. So far I've been happy with all the Makita tools I own, and I as I think about it that's over 20 different tools. I paid 220 some for the grease gun only on Amazon. I also bought these new lock and lube grease gun tips ...... we will see how they work out. If you can wait 2 weeks I'll give you an honest review on what I think of the grease gun. We go through a box of 10 tubes a week. So I should have a good idea after next week. I hope it's not a power hog like the Makita reciprocating saws. If so the guys will have to carry 2 extra batteries with them.
Been about a week now. I know you said wait 2 weeks but what’s your initial assessment?

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I'd get the Makita too unless you really want multiple battery systems.

I use hand grease guns too. The electrics can mess stuff up like the ceramic seals on Blackmer pumps. Or, electric motors. Over grease in a hurry.

I always have a manual gun along with my air gun in the service truck for motors and pumps, some stuff doesn't take kindly to the continuous air gun lol

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
I just received the grease gun last night and on initial assessment the build quality seems good. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the first tube of grease to seat completely in the cartridge tube. The plunger was so tight that it wouldn't let the bottom of the tube slide by. As to the use I was a little underwhelmed, I think any battery-powered grease gun is going to disappoint me. I'm used to the long lever handled, grease gun with the solid metal grease hose on the John Deere grease guns. These guns put out a lot of grease with one pump. On fittings that I typically just put one pump of grease in I had to hold down on the grease gun button for almost 3 seconds. Now it may not seem like a long time, but I think it took me about two minutes longer to grease the track skid steer with the battery-powered gun. And we all know what time is. On any machine that you can use the metal spout grease gun on the process is going to be faster with the manual gun. On my excavator using this battery-powered gun would be tedious. It would take forever to get enough grease into some of the big fittings. Fittings that we say put six pumps in with the manual gun. 3 to 4 inch inch pin diameter linkages. Where this gun will be handy is in those fittings that require a hose and one hand to hold the tip of the hose on the zerk. I honestly feel that those locking grease gun heads that I got will solve that problem also. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'll let everyone know when I do. So in conclusion to this diatribe if you have to have a battery gun I think Mikita is as good as the rest but in the real world, wil not replace a good quality long lever manual gun. As for those handheld manual grease guns that you operate with one hand... The last one I had got purposely ran over.

cosmaar1

I just received the grease gun last night and on initial assessment the build quality seems good. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the first tube of grease to seat completely in the cartridge tube. The plunger was so tight that it wouldn't let the bottom of the tube slide by. As to the use I was a little underwhelmed, I think any battery-powered grease gun is going to disappoint me. I'm used to the long lever handled, grease gun with the solid metal grease hose on the John Deere grease guns. These guns put out a lot of grease with one pump. On fittings that I typically just put one pump of grease in I had to hold down on the grease gun button for almost 3 seconds. Now it may not seem like a long time, but I think it took me about two minutes longer to grease the track skid steer with the battery-powered gun. And we all know what time is. On any machine that you can use the metal spout grease gun on the process is going to be faster with the manual gun. On my excavator using this battery-powered gun would be tedious. It would take forever to get enough grease into some of the big fittings. Fittings that we say put six pumps in with the manual gun. 3 to 4 inch inch pin diameter linkages. Where this gun will be handy is in those fittings that require a hose and one hand to hold the tip of the hose on the zerk. I honestly feel that those locking grease gun heads that I got will solve that problem also. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'll let everyone know when I do. So in conclusion to this diatribe if you have to have a battery gun I think Mikita is as good as the rest but in the real world, wil not replace a good quality long lever manual gun. As for those handheld manual grease guns that you operate with one hand... The last one I had got purposely ran over.
Good update. I am currently using a pistol grip and after 1.5 tubes the other day my mind was made up of doing something different. I guess I could try the manual lever one, but figured battery would be best..... maybe not.

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
We own at least 10 different grease guns and only one of them is a pistol grip that I bought to replace the one that "accidentally" got left on the tracks. My son uses it to grease some of the zerks on the grader. I think the battery-powered grease gun would probably be almost as fast as a pistol grip. I.e. slow. But it would certainly be a lot easier on your hands. I just got done greasing the backhoe with that new locknlube tip with a manual heavy duty John Deere gun. That is definitely the way to go. I know some will say that the darn tip costs as much as a gun, And depending on the gun they may be right. But I just ordered two more of those tips. It made it so I didn't have to hold that tip on the zerk anymore. So I had both hands free to run the gun. No more holding the gun with one hand and operating the gun by pushing it against my hip. I spent way more time cleaning tips than I did greasing I will tell you that. Fast, easy, and not a lot of mess. I know the regular tips will sometimes hang on by themselves but it seems as I'm pumping the grease gun I wiggle the hose, and they fall off, and I lose some grease. Then have to grab the tip and reconnect it. Wash, rinse, repeat. Not today, clean the zerk, click it on, pump the gun, go on to the next one.

cosmaar1

We own at least 10 different grease guns and only one of them is a pistol grip that I bought to replace the one that "accidentally" got left on the tracks. My son uses it to grease some of the zerks on the grader. I think the battery-powered grease gun would probably be almost as fast as a pistol grip. I.e. slow. But it would certainly be a lot easier on your hands. I just got done greasing the backhoe with that new locknlube tip with a manual heavy duty John Deere gun. That is definitely the way to go. I know some will say that the darn tip costs as much as a gun, And depending on the gun they may be right. But I just ordered two more of those tips. It made it so I didn't have to hold that tip on the zerk anymore. So I had both hands free to run the gun. No more holding the gun with one hand and operating the gun by pushing it against my hip. I spent way more time cleaning tips than I did greasing I will tell you that. Fast, easy, and not a lot of mess. I know the regular tips will sometimes hang on by themselves but it seems as I'm pumping the grease gun I wiggle the hose, and they fall off, and I lose some grease. Then have to grab the tip and reconnect it. Wash, rinse, repeat. Not today, clean the zerk, click it on, pump the gun, go on to the next one.
I actually bought one of those last week. I agree 100%, it’s a lot nicer than the regular tip.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I have 3 pistol grip guns and the Dewalt. One of the pistol grip guns is the small size and is packed with anti seize. One regular size has marine grade wheel bearing grease. The other has the 5% moly I use in the Dewalt for backhoe pins.

I use the Dewalt on my finish mower wheels too. I grease those every other mowing to try and push the dirt out.

The Dewalt is used for 90% of my greasing. I wouldn't take a purdy for it. It is variable speed that is regulated by how much pressure is applied to the trigger.

JD955SC

The Milwaukee is excellent and pumps extremely fast on the high speed lower pressure setting and on the high pressure low speed setting it’s very powerful and busts clogs pretty well.

I hate a manual gun. Give me air or better yet battery any day.

we have a big air operated keg fed greaser for high volume stuff like filling bucket pin cavities or track adjusters.

cosmaar1

Been a few weeks. What's your final assessment? Is it worth buying?

Bote

I bought a Dewalt because I had other tools and several batteries. I use the smallest Dewalt battery and have plenty of juice to lube all the points on the TLB. Changing tubes is easy, never have to purge but I don't let my grease get cold. I have Milwaukees for my mechanics and they work great also.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I just recently learned (from a YouTube video) that they make adaptors to go from one battery type to another brand. Below is an example (not pushing the use of Amazon BTW, actually rather use another supplier, personally, but this came up in my search). They are not that costly, and allow you to now pick and choose, not just go brand specific.

https://www.amazon.com/Mellif-Milwa...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276309582749&psc=1