• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Baselining and fixing up a (new to me) Case 580 Super K

Outdoort

So thought Id make a new thread since I did indeed buy that Case 580 super k I went to look at mentioned in my other thread. I'll prob just keep this thread going whenever I see fit to add something or ask a question I don't think needs a separate thread. I'll Post some photos in the next few days of where I'm starting from, and then the different jobs/fixes/oil changes I do as time goes on. Should be fun.

So today was my first day really looking at this new backhoe and getting a initial few things done. I sprayed degreaser on some areas of the engine and hoe/front bucket joints that had a lot of grease, then power washed the whole backhoe getting a lot of the grease areas much cleaner. Not perfect, but will make things a bit easier working on it in the future.

Greased about half of the zerk fittings before running out of a tube of valvoline Palladium... so I'll get the rest greased tomorrow.

Checked the transaxle fluid dip stick from inside the cab behind the seat, and the transaxle fluid is clean and looks good, but I got a question...

The transaxle is supposed to have hy-tran ultra. I thought that stuff was red in color??? If so, whatever is in this axle def wasn't red on the dip stick, it looked like a new motor oil color (like a clear/tan).
The other interesting thing about this oil in the transaxle, was it had a sweet ish smell to it. I've never smelled anything like it. It wasn't too strong, I had to put my nose right up to the dip stick to smell it, but I thought it was very interesting smelling. Any idea what might be in this transaxle case? I'm gonna change the oil and fill with the hy-tran in the next week or so...

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
A lot of people will use a generic hyd. oil for transaxle and hyd. You will probably want to change that oil to hy-Tran because of the brakes. The brake disc material doesn’t react well to off brand oils.

cosmaar1

So thought Id make a new thread since I did indeed buy that Case 580 super k I went to look at mentioned in my other thread. I'll prob just keep this thread going whenever I see fit to add something or ask a question I don't think needs a separate thread. I'll Post some photos in the next few days of where I'm starting from, and then the different jobs/fixes/oil changes I do as time goes on. Should be fun.

So today was my first day really looking at this new backhoe and getting a initial few things done. I sprayed degreaser on some areas of the engine and hoe/front bucket joints that had a lot of grease, then power washed the whole backhoe getting a lot of the grease areas much cleaner. Not perfect, but will make things a bit easier working on it in the future.

Greased about half of the zerk fittings before running out of a tube of valvoline Palladium... so I'll get the rest greased tomorrow.

Checked the transaxle fluid dip stick from inside the cab behind the seat, and the transaxle fluid is clean and looks good, but I got a question...

The transaxle is supposed to have hy-tran ultra. I thought that stuff was red in color??? If so, whatever is in this axle def wasn't red on the dip stick, it looked like a new motor oil color (like a clear/tan).
The other interesting thing about this oil in the transaxle, was it had a sweet ish smell to it. I've never smelled anything like it. It wasn't too strong, I had to put my nose right up to the dip stick to smell it, but I thought it was very interesting smelling. Any idea what might be in this transaxle case? I'm gonna change the oil and fill with the hy-tran in the next week or so...

make sure you also change the filter.

Outdoort

cosmaar1, we talking the screen on the transaxle that you pull out and clean? Or is there another filter (like a screw on disposable)?

cosmaar1

cosmaar1, we talking the screen on the transaxle that you pull out and clean? Or is there another filter (like a screw on disposable)?

on any transmission i've seen, car, off road vehicle, heavy machinery, there is always a transmission filter. looks like Tinkerer provided the location on the post above.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
on any transmission i've seen, car, off road vehicle, heavy machinery, there is always a transmission filter. looks like Tinkerer provided the location on the post above.
580C, no trans./shuttle filter, only a screen in the shuttle pan, only machine I've ever seen w/o trans filter.. That excludes manual transmissions..I sure spent a lot of time looking before I got the manual..That was prior to the discovery of this forum..