• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Barko 270 harvester

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Has anyone here had any experience with one?
I just had one quoted with a Southstar QS500 head.

Plebeian

(barko 270b is listed as a processor on the barko website)Seems a bit low on the engine power for a machine with a 6000 lb head etc. (22hp 6.7 Cummins QSl 6.7?
Look to see what engines other makers are putting in that class of machine - hp, torque etc.
I would ask the factory for a slightly more powerful engine - 250hp vs the 225hp standard so the drives etc are still in their power limit?

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I work for a barko dealer. We’ve got a 240 with a ponsse h8 head in the woods. Had some quality control issues when it was new but it’s turned out to be a decent machine. Tons of track and swing power. It’s had 2 operators in it. The first one was determined to destroy it but the second operator is much smoother and seems to have found the sweet spot. Does the dealership that’s selling it have a good service department?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Update

I have the 270B on the job and it is a good lil machine. Southstar head is very fast and it cuts very nicely. It seems to get around pretty well and is very stable. The only things I wish that it had are a heel rack on it to help get around in the woods and single bar grousers would be preferred over these double bar 28. Has little quality control issues like a lot of the bolts for the tin work, handles Etc are a little on the small side but I think it will be a good rig as it only Burns 5 and 1/2 gallons per hour processing.
Don't mind the silver paint on the boom as it is just there to monitor for any cracking as this is the first one produced and in the woods.20180222_172145.jpg

catwelder

Occupation
welder
i havent seen barko anything in a long time or prentice for that matter it looks like a nice machine though

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
It really is a good little machine. I think it'll be ideally suited for harvesting in cut-to-length applications and processing for skidder sides, shovel sides & under the yarder. Very fast and would be able to do large turns of the 18 to 22 inch wood very quickly.