• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Barge unloading

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
This past week I got a chance to look at a barge unloading operation. It's something I hadn't ever had any exposure to before. It's pretty interesting.

In a nutshell, it's a long reach excavator with a clamshell, some conveyors, a skidloader to help clean up the bottom of the barges, and a wheel loader to provide miscellaneous support for the other stuff. Sorry, but I didn't get any pictures.

I searched here, and surprisingly, didn't find much of any discussion on the subject, so I'll open one.

Anybody have any experience? Good stories? Bad stories? Tips and tricks of the trade? Whatever comes to mind...

lantraxco

Don't unload one end or one side of the barge, gotta keep the balance. Make sure the loader's brakes are in top shape, lol.

sheepfoot

They do everything from road salt to wood chips here at the state port. Depending on the shipping co. some have there own clamshell/cranes and unload themselves into a feeder hopper that runs out to the dock. I have seen D5 sized lifted and set in the hulls along with skids and wheel loaders. They are doing a huge upgrade to the port with new bulk storage and transfer equipment. It's a pain with the twix and other info you need now just to be inside. Every one has to be at arms length with out the proper ID. I had spent a lot of time in the 80"s working on equipment shipping overseas and putting new units together that were in containers.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What type of materials come into the port?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Don't unload one end or one side of the barge, gotta keep the balance. Make sure the loader's brakes are in top shape, lol.

I was surprised at how big and deep the barges were. They never look that big just watching them being pushed up the river. There'd be nowhere to go, even if the machine had no brakes at all.

I remember a conversation though, standing at a parts counter years ago, about one particular operation that had put two different skidsteers in the river because they pushed too much material to one end of the barges, and they tipped endwise

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
...and please, don't reply to spammers. Just use the "Report Post" feature. Thanks.

Where is this feature?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
...and please, don't reply to spammers. Just use the "Report Post" feature. Thanks.

Where is this feature?

Third icon to the right underneath your user name block, it's the triangle with the ! in the middle.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
See the little gray triangle with the exclamation point in it, right below the block with the poster's username? Mouse over that and you should see the words "Report post".

But as long as we're on the subject, I don't think it's urgent for anybody to report all these **** Live S treaming spammers, because they stand out like the proverbial sore thumb when I, or any of the staff, look at the board to see the new posts. We delete them on sight. But it does generate another, "Reported post from Heavy Equipment Forums", email in all of our inboxes, and then we have to deal with that too...

Now, if we're done hijacking my barge unloading thread... :cool2

:)

On edit: Wow. CM, man of few words that he is, beat me to the reply by less than a minute. My wife frequently has to tell me to just stick to the short version too.

Further edit:
Third icon to the right underneath your user name block,

Man of few words, which is good, because he sometimes makes mistakes. CM, only the staff see the IP and "Add infraction" icons. Everybody else only sees the "Report post" icon there, and non-members don't even see that. :tong

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
What type of materials come into the port?

In the early eighties when working for Guy F Atkinson out of Long Beach, twice our biggest crane barge (Mr. Guy) and crew was called out to put out a hold fire in ships. We took flat deck sister barges along equipped with fire pumps.After opening the hatch Mr. Guy clamshelled out the burning cargo and dumped it on the sister barge and we would spray it down. The ship crew took care of trying to keep the flames down on there ship. Once the hold was full of cloth gloves, Millions of them, all left handed. I always wondered where they were headed. The other time the hold was filled with thousands of tents of every size and shape. Never see "hold" ships anymore, just cargo containers for the most part. We had to hold the cargo until the insurance folks got there and then it had to be buried while a person watched.

Tinkerer

The first piece of construction equipment I ever ran was a Case 450 trackloader unloading rock phosphate from barges. The year was 1962. The unloading dock had a bucket elevator that worked like a regular crane only it was stationary. It could be boomed up and down and swung in arc in the barge. I had to clean up the corners and anywhere else the elevator couldn't reach.
The barges came with hatches that could be picked up and stacked to allow access to the material. Other barges came with hatches that were on rollers. They (the ones with rollers) were extremely dangerous because the more material we removed, the more the barge would tilt. I was home (we were on a two shift operation) when one of the men was standing on the edge of one of those hatches and the one behind it rolled towards him. When it hit the stops on the one he was standing on he was catapulted in the nearly empty section he was looking down at. He suffered two broken heels when he hit the bottom.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
If you google "redpath sugar toronto" they have a neat set up, it's a sennebogen mounted on a pedestal that's on a track that goes down the length of the building and it dumps on a conveyor that brings the raw material in to the storage building.

Randy88

Used to watch them unload coal for hours while fishing with the kids when they were little, coal and some fertilizer is the main items off loaded in my area, then grain is loaded back on board before headed down river, quite an operation to watch being done. Around here they use the stationary clam setups to off load with, and conveyor belts to load grain back onto the barges.

Its been a lot of years since I was told but at one time each barges tote held around 90 semi loads of grain or 90,000 bushels of grain each, have no idea what size they are now, don't know what that translates into tons of coal, at one time I did know, but that's too many decades ago to recall.

Here they lower skid steers and wheel loaders down into the barge, the skid steers shove the coal to the wheel loader and the wheel loader loads the clam with the last of the coal, or that's how it was done a few decades ago, when we'd watch. From the clam the coal gets dumped into a hopper and then it goes up a conveyor and drops and a D8 shoves the pile around and further up still, quite the operation to watch. The coal feeds the electric plants in the area along the river, can't recall how many there are now off the top of my head, but if for some reason they can't get coal up or downstream to the plants, trains are then loaded and brought in during the winter to keep them fed and going, barges are far cheaper and faster is what I've been told in the past. I can't recall now how many coal cars on the railroad are in each barge tow but to do it barges are far faster to both load and unload, and also transport. I was thinking a coal car for the railroad held around 3500 bushels of grain rings a bell, so it would take about 25 rail cars to each barge tow, most tows are tied about 6-8 barges together and are pushed with a large tug.

At one time, the tug operators were independent and the captain owned his own tug or worked for the tug owner as a captain of it, and got hired to push a tow of barges both upstream and back down again, not sure if that's how its done anymore or not, one of the tug owners explained this to me years ago when my boat was in the shop being worked on. He also gave myself and my kids a tour of his tug and the tow of barges, quite a life, not for me, but interesting just the same, the kids loved it at the time, standing up in the pilot house and behind the wheel, not sure they even have a wheel anymore with the navigation equipment on board today with gps and autopilot and pretty intense computer controlled navigation equipment.

Not to hijack the thread, but another operation to watch is sand dredging the river bottom, and off loading the sand off the flat barges, we'd watch those for hours as well, its truly amazing how that its done when they suck it up and spit it onto the flat barge like a giant vacuum cleaner.

Life on the river is something different completely than I'm used to, can't say I'd want to live it, but its something to understand how they do it and watch them do what they do, gives an appreciation as to what it takes to get power for the electric plants they off load the coal at.

We were also on the river with the kids one day when a tug and tow of barges hit the bridge piling, talk about excitement and the kids telling me, we think he's doing to hit the bridge and me telling them, no, they know what their doing only to feel the jolt and hear the crash and the kids yelling we told you he was going to hit it, and then the alarms and whistles going off and police cars showing up to block traffic from going across the bridge while inspections were done. The whole time we're in a 14 foot boat and had been fishing off the back of the bridge piling they hit, not something I'd care to relive again either, I do believe I was glad I was wearing brown pants too. Every time I cross that bridge, it brings back memories of that day, kind of makes you squirm a little when your loaded heavy and wide in the semi and going across that same bridge 20 plus years later and remembering the chunk the barge knocked off and as it fell into the river, not something you see everyday. Sorry for the walk down memory lane, carry on, just having a near senior moment deep in thought remembering.

Been up in the ports on the great lakes and watch them offload stuff too, but about 100 times larger than the river barges, its truly amazing to watch being done, up in the ports they unload container ships and bulk hold ships. A friend of mine used to take containers to the port to offload, he only told me, whatever you do, don't tick off the loaders, or they'll take your load, semi, trailer and all and set them in the bottom of the ship, cost him a couple grand to get it back off one time and he said, it gives you a greater appreciation of humility to have to pay to get your semi back off the ship, not to mention seeing it being loaded and unloaded again. Not 100 percent sure that's true, but several have told me the same story, after watching them, I do believe its possible.

390eric

Digger242. I'm assuming you where down in the aliqquipa industrial park since you and I are only about 15 min apart. And it's one of the biggest in the area. It's amazing what they do. I actually interviewed with them just couldn't offer what I was making in the field. Pretty cool to watch them unload takes more skill and brain power than what you would think. Looks like a cool operation. It would get boring after awhile. Doing the same thing over and over again. Lots of big iron down there you don't see

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I'm assuming you where down in the aliqquipa industrial park since you and I are only about 15 min apart.

No, this was somewhere different. I do go past there all the time though.

It would get boring after awhile. Doing the same thing over and over again.

Yeah, I got the same impression. It certainly would get repetitive.

We were also on the river with the kids one day when a tug and tow of barges hit the bridge piling,

That seems to happen every so often around here too. Not necessarily with the tug, but if the river floods, and the water is high and fast, barges will break loose from their moorings.

Making sure one doesn't get away would probably keep things interesting, no matter how repetitive the work is.

Last edited: