• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe weight

Preppypyro

Graham I actually used the one that you sent me to figure out my weight, but I still wanted to go weigh it, just to see it on the scale!

After reading some of the replies, I had myself talked into the thing weighing in at 18k. Im glad I went and got it checked though.

travismcgee

How scary/legal is it to pull a backhoe behind a F350 with a fifth wheel trailer setup for the weight?

Pulling it behind a dump truck just seems to make more sense.

bachman44

Occupation
Tool & Die Maker Plastics
FYI,
Double check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles. I believe total combined weight for Truck, Trailer, & Load cannot exceed 26,000 lbs. towing using a P/U truck & a standard non commercial license.
Most likely a fifth wheel trailer & hitch weight capacity is not enough for over 18,000 lbs. trailer & load. My first choice is a Gooseneck, with up to 30,000 lbs. total capacity. After towing with a fifth wheel or gooseneck, no more bumper tows for me if possible. I just feel so much more comfortable & in control with the fifth wheel/gooseneck setup.

travismcgee

I think I'll leave moving them to someone set up for it. At least for now, it doesn't seem worth the trouble. My mind still can't grasp towing something as heavy as a backhoe behind a pickup, goose neck or not. I sure everything would be fine, until that one idiot forcing you to brake suddenly or swerve on the highway...

wldhoss

I moved my Case 580L up to Salmon Idaho from Boise, 280 miles on winding mountain river roads, with elevation gain of 5000'. No problems and took 6Hrs. With a good powerful truck and trailer handling and cruise was fine. I traveled early in the cool part of the day. Did have a few deer and elk cross the road in front of me that was a little scary. Braking was fine and so was handling.

Attachments

• Going to Salmon 005.jpg
    Going to Salmon 005.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,072