1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Backhoe Insurance

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by cosmaar1, Aug 3, 2022.

1. cosmaar1

cosmaar1 Senior Member

Hello all. Just wanted to pick some brains for those of you who carry insurance policies on your personal machine that is not located on your home premises.

I have a parcel of land about 15 minutes from my house, which is still my property, but as I am trying to move from Liberty Mutual, I’m having a hard time getting someone to understand how to insure it.

I’m thinking a separate policy would probably be better, but have no idea who carries personal insurance for these.

any help would be appreciated.

2. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

I have insurance on a couple of pieces of equipment, dozer and excavator, on a property I own, but don't live at. It is through State Farm and I believe it is written as an inland marine policy.

cosmaar1 likes this.
  3. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

The inland marine policies I am familiar with cover goods in transit.

Depending on the size of your parcel, Ohio Farm Bureau may insure it if it is just for your personal usage.

cosmaar1 likes this.
  4. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    We have an inland marine policy along side our GL and WC policies that covers our equipment and small tools. The term "marine" throws people off as it doesn't only cover items on a boat as the name implies or goods in transit, it also covers contractors equipment and various other things.

https://www.insuranceopedia.com/definition/2359/inland-marine-policy

I have always carried an inland marine policy for equipment and small tools. The larger equipment has a schedule of values per piece with a set dollar value cap for small tools per claim usually around $15K-20K for our polices. We set the insured value of the larger iron in a schedule and pick an amount for the small tools as it all relates to the premiums you pay just like any other insurance - accept the risk you are willing to pay for.

Tinkerer and cosmaar1 like this.
  5. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    My inland marine policy is thru Auto Owners.

Ed

6. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

Farm bureaus understand this sort of stuff. When I called my home insurance guy, his response to my query was "why did you buy a backhoe? Homeowners never buy that sort of stuff." Had no idea what to do with me.

cosmaar1 likes this.
  7. joelx777

joelx777 Well-Known Member

I use Travelers insurance. I pay $300 a year for $25k coverage on my excavator and $20k on my tractor.

8. cosmaar1

cosmaar1 Senior Member

I switched insurances last week and ended up going with Allstate. I quoted probably 10 different insurance companies and called around to the local farm places, but when it came to having a 2nd parcel of property and just a backhoe on it, I always had an issue and it couldn't be covered. Allstate was able to cover the liability on the land with the backhoe for about $125 or so per year.

aighead likes this.