1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Backhoe bucket question, cover teeth

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by James Riley, Jun 19, 2015.

1. James Riley

James Riley New Member

Hi folks. I'm not much of an operator. I have a Ford 555 with an 18" and a 24" bucket. Have you ever heard of an add-on that covers the teeth, making for a smooth or flat scraper? Without having to take the teeth off (i.e. it just bolts or otherwise just goes on over the teeth)? If so, how about one that sticks out a foot or so on each side? Where I might I buy one? Thanks in advance of any help.

2. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Welcome to the Forums James Riley!:drinkup

Usually if one needs a flat scraper blade on a backhoe bucket just weld a piece of cutting edge or flat plate to the teeth. It's easy to burn off after your done using it if there is enough meat left on the tooth or just change the teeth out if not.

3. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    That's what I typically do. If it's just a short job and you'll be taking it back off soon, just use hot rolled flat steel. If it's going to stay on the bucket for a long time you might want to use an AR plate or a cutting edge blade like CM suggested.

4. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    I made a V shaped cutting edge that fits over the teeth, front is 1 inch thick cutting edge, back is 1/2 plate. It has a chain welded to the back that I run up to loop on back of bucket and tighten with a load binder. once it is wedged on tight it stays tight.
    Mine is on a 48" bucket on 210 Volvo excavator.

Blademandan likes this.
  5. hookedondiesel

hookedondiesel Senior Member

How about a half inch thick plate, the width of your bucket...
    then weld on some muffler clamps, bolt them on your teeth when needed.

6. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

then the 1st time you push backward go pick it up.and weld it on

Blademandan likes this.
  7. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Not if you have a good welder.:cool2

8. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

cool2, I was talking about the bolt part of the muffler clamp, I have tried bolt on things thinking well just wont push back, and I didn't push back for about 30 seconds lol that's an old man like I'm lol

9. hookedondiesel

hookedondiesel Senior Member

I don't think 1/2 inch U bolts and their nuts would break, I'll be making a set soon and let you know how they turn out.;)

10. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Gotcha!

11. dixon700

dixon700 Well-Known Member

heavy truck mechanic
    I was thinking of building something bolt on. Use some 1/2" or thicker material and build a v then run a couple straps back and drill a couple holes in the sides of the bucket. Welding a pies of Chaim toneach side and binding it around sounds like a pretty good idea.

12. Orchard Ex

Orchard Ex Super Moderator

13. James Riley

James Riley New Member

Your responses were exactly what I was looking for. I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond. You saved me from having to buy another machine I couldn't afford.