• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back Up Cameras

IceHole

Good thinking! If the lens cover is glass or a hard surface, dust should not be an issue. But, if it is, set up an air line with momentary electrical control valve. My Lexan windshields can be scratched easily so one of my machines, the Barko 937, has an "Air Knife" cleaning attachment that blows air across the front glass when the switch is held down. This removes heavy dust/debris without risk of scratching the delicate surface. It's not as good as a wash down but it gets me by on a dusty day with lots of sun.
We have lexan in the skidders, couple are 30 years old and still can see through. Mostly branches bang them up, but it's surprising tough stuff!

IceHole

Actually, the gate is a high lift gate. Either way I open the gate, there is enough slack in the cable. The camera does not help me to back up to the trailer hitch. I was going to mount more cameras, as the system can use multiple camera's to do more locations but I didn't want to spend that much money or time trying to run wires. Everything I heard sounded like wireless systems will not work with a steel dump box. I still get out and look when needed. I've only had one employee who could ever get me backed up perfectly to a hitch without ever having to pull forward and re- adjust.
I usually bang the tailgate HARD to get snow out.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
The gate may not actually move as much as you think near the pivot as far as the camera cable moving.
Depends how you set it up. If I get a chance, I will try and post some images of my set up. You can also mount the camera not on the gate but near the pivot. Post some images of the back of your truck.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Here are some images of the monitor while I was dropping off my excavator at the job site. Have not taken any images of the camera and the wire by the gate yet.

Attachments

• 20240405_094702_resized.jpg
    20240405_094702_resized.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240405_094706_resized.jpg
    20240405_094706_resized.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 15

IceHole

The gate may not actually move as much as you think near the pivot as far as the camera cable moving.
Depends how you set it up. If I get a chance, I will try and post some images of my set up. You can also mount the camera not on the gate but near the pivot. Post some images of the back of your truck.
Not so much the moving but the shock when it slams, even if not purposely slamming it to shake stuff out.

Will have to dig out my gum rubbers and walk out there with my when I get a chance. My yard has a couple feet of snow plus where I plowed all winter now enough mud to get a 4wd truck stuck.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
OK, here is the way I ran the gate camera cable. Again, the tiny camera cable in in a heavy duty hose with hose protector.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 5
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 5

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
When you dump move forward a bit so that the gate doesn't get stuck on the pile. Then lower the box slowly. If you need a tall/tight pile, just lower the box a bit as you move slowly forward after you've dumped.

IceHole

When you dump move forward a bit so that the gate doesn't get stuck on the pile. Then lower the box slowly. If you need a tall/tight pile, just lower the box a bit as you move slowly forward after you've dumped.
We purposely slam the gates to shake out material, especially snow.
Likely won't NEED to with gravel, but not going to baby it because of a camera.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
what about a remote camera with some type of magnetic mount that you could just mount when you are in tights spots.

skyking1

the bugger is wireless really won't do a thing through all that steel. it has to be a wired camera. They do have a power and an RCA plug on them so it could be removed and installed quickly enough. A little black tape to keep the dirt out of the connections when not in use.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I finally got around to installing the new camera and monitor in the Barko. I liked it well enough, I ordered another camera and monitor to update the Lamtrac. I posted links to these in the reply on the first page of this thread if anyone likes what they see and want to know where to get one.

Old camera - not OEM but better than what came with it. 720p
IMG_20240423_144534_355.jpg

New camera and monitor @ 1080p
IMG_20240423_144539_585.jpg
Both cameras have the same view and are about 12" apart at the same height.

IMG_20240423_144519_807.jpg