• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back up camera to watch forks at hieght?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I was thinking of a camera to see the blind spot on the Lull why not to see the forks at heights. I mean landing over 4-5 frames high is tough even three is tough. How about mounting one on the carriage for the forks? The ones for cars are cheap even 100 bucks. I see ones like this are more and probably better http://www.rearviewsystems.com/

Wonder why OEM has not done it yet they even have wireless which is a snap to install. There was talk of it when the 1044B came out with 48 foot lift capacity,

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
The systems that are cheap for the auto world are simply that...cheap. The cameras will not survive on heavy equipment, the monitors ditto.

Cameras are required in Europe on some equipment, are becomeing required or soon will be in North America on mining equipment. Systems that are made for equipment have to meet the CE & MSHA requirements. Makes them more expensive, but very rugged.

I don't have the link handy, but check out Orlaco Camera Systems. They are based in Netherlands, have a branch in Canada. This system is very well made, cameras are very well protected, and the monitors are very bright screen and well made. They also work in extremely low light conditions without needing dedicated lights. No doubt they have a system that will work even on a Lull :D

icestationzebra

There are several issues, which BSAA65LB touched on.

1. Cost
2. Durability
3. Mud/dirt/water - would need to be cleaned constantly
4. Where to mount? If on the boom then it will not be aimed properly when landing at different heights. If on the carriage it will easily get damaged. Same goes for work lights.
5. Rental houses don't want/need it. - Rental houses buy a large share of these machines. If they don't demand it, it probably won't get added.
6. The camera unit will need batteries, which will need to be replaced/recharged. Could be easily removable and recharged in the cab?
7. Vandalism, especially since 95% of all units are open cab.
8. Light flare if pointed towards the sun.

Not saying it can't be done, just that you have to be OK with it not being perfect.

ISZ

aerolift

Cameras

Ditto, ISZ.
I run a fleet of SkyTrak forklifts. I prefer well maintained, older machines over option laden, closed cab versions. The simplicity of operation and maintainance helps keep the telehandler running. I have embraced technology in my business, but honestly believe that the "bells and whistles" approach to cab enclosed cranes and dirt equipment is not applicable and even detrimental to the open cab telehandler in general use. Well kept, 15 year old 6036 and 8042 SkyTraks with good tires,seats and tight levers are perfectly acceptable to my clients. With deteriorating rental rates it is an additional incentive to keep the fleet longer and even indefinetly operate in this fashion.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Using binoculars to see forks

Greetings, we have a square shooter 8042 (w/o the square feature). The utility company uses binoculars to check equipment on the poles at 25 and 30 feet. Has anyone considered trying this idea? My machine has one joystick for the forks and boom, so the oher hand (left) can be utilized to hold the binoculars.

ORDINGEN

Hi Guys,

If you are looking for a PROFESSIONAL and HEAVY DUTY camera system at a FAIR and CORRECT price then you need to buy one from REAR VIEW SYSTEMS in Sweetwater Tennessee.

Take care

ORDINGEN

Hi Speedpup,

Totally right : the Rear View System is just TOP , forget about the other ones being too expensive , Rearview's heavy duty monitor STM704-QHD is just the best one available on the market at a decent price and so are their CMT77 and CMT88 camera's : simply the best,we are using them over here in Europe and I can assure you that all other so called " professional systems " over here can not compete at all and are way too expensive!

Speedpup

Occupation
Hi Guys,

If you are looking for a PROFESSIONAL and HEAVY DUTY camera system at a FAIR and CORRECT price then you need to buy one from REAR VIEW SYSTEMS in Sweetwater Tennessee.

Take care

thanks I'll check it out:drinkup

Speedpup

Occupation
Prices are reasonable if it last 1,000 + looks like a few add ons.

ORDINGEN

Over here in Europe a similar set by Orlaco Holland or Motec Germany will cost you at least between 60 to 70 percent more , the specs of the STM704Q monitor offered by Rearviewsystems are much better than what the Dutch or Germans are offering.