• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back to RANT!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
WTH, call a couple of dealers to see what interchanges for the old style A4900 Eaton Fuller shift knob and get treated like I am looking for a Left Handed Smoke Shifter IE No Clue. Parts people have NO CLUE what a Eaton Fuller 13 speed control knob is, need the Truck s/n to ID, WTF!!!!

Was thinking had changed to the 6913 but they would waffle for minutes and just lock up. BTW Frtlnr Pete KW and Volvo all Same!!!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
WTH, call a couple of dealers to see what interchanges for the old style A4900 Eaton Fuller shift knob and get treated like I am looking for a Left Handed Smoke Shifter IE No Clue. Parts people have NO CLUE what a Eaton Fuller 13 speed control knob is, need the Truck s/n to ID, WTF!!!!

Was thinking had changed to the 6913 but they would waffle for minutes and just lock up. BTW Frtlnr Pete KW and Volvo all Same!!!

Welcome to my world trying to decipher older farm trucks. Had a '75 KW in the shop last fall, nice old truck. Had a set of IH tandems, a BC II Cummins built in '84, and a 12513 replace the original 5x4 Fullers. Great truck, minus being a PITA to get parts for. It now has a "custom linesetting ticket" that I wrote up after identifying the Mutt components.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I was surprised to find the old ones (reproduction anyway) on ebay.

Who knew?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=9513 12513
I am keeping that one in mind. I must be getting old... I completely forgot about the days of the old 12513's with separate Hi-Lo Valves on the stick and Splitter direct and over on the knob. And I drove a bunch of them!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, the hi-lo hose clamped on there like it was an afterthought.

It sort of jogged my memory also, the "old style" 13 speed which I have not seen in over 20 years and pretty much forgot about. Where you have low 1-2-3 and then go back into low "int" on the knob in that picture and it is pretty much like a 10 speed after that. What was the model number on that transmission if anybody remembers? Paging Mr. Truck Shop.... I think it was pretty low torque.

Was there another 13 speed knob not shown there that had low-ud-direct for the modern style splitter ones that were not double over?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yes, the hi-lo hose clamped on there like it was an afterthought.

It sort of jogged my memory also, the "old style" 13 speed which I have not seen in over 20 years and pretty much forgot about. Where you have low 1-2-3 and then go back into low "int" on the knob in that picture and it is pretty much like a 10 speed after that. What was the model number on that transmission if anybody remembers? Paging Mr. Truck Shop.... I think it was pretty low torque.

Was there another 13 speed knob not shown there that had low-ud-direct for the modern style splitter ones that were not double over?

Was that that miserable little 613 Roadranger? had to drive a few of them in Crane Carrier chassis under a few drill rigs. With the mystery shift pattern and the goofy sequence of shifts, I did a lot of grinding at first.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The one I remember was in a great big water truck, but I don't know what engine it had, but it was diesel. It might have been some kind of 855 or Detroit, but I think it was a 4 cycle whatever it was. Maybe one of those wimpy V8s they had back in those days. Hard to imagine 600 lb-ft moving 56,000 plus lbs around, I'm sure it is made into razor blades now.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Most of those drill rigs were around 60,000 lbs. but had little engines... 3208's, 6V-53's,and one had a 555 Cummins. I also remember the 613 behind 427 Chevies and a few Big Ford gassers like the 477 and 534.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I gave up talking to the idiots, called a IH dealer shop I had used for years OLD parts man said come on by and pick it up $57 and change, A6913 REPLACEMENT knob assembly, knew him twenty three years ago he stated the morons working around him today cannot find a Budd Lug nut without a S/N.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Way off the topic of heavy equipment but had similar problem the other day with a Harley Sportster.

Real tricky technical project, tubeless tire valve stem leaking where it goes through the rim. Stop by the "stealer" and tell parts guy I need a valve stem for a `92 Sportster. He asked if it was metal or rubber, I said metal. He goes in the back room and comes back with a shiny chrome valve stem in a plastic bag and I pay for it and head home.

Break the bead down with wheel still on the bike and remove the old valve stem and seals and clean off a little corrosion. Notice that the new valve stem is a little shorter and also a bit loose in the rim hole but snug up the nut and then find out it is too short to let tire chuck go on far enough to work.

Pull out my part book and have a look, sure enough the part number in book is different from what the guy sold me. Figured guess he grabbed the wrong one by mistake so I called with the correct number. Well that's not good news they tell me the valve stem part number is obsolete! WTF! How can they make a basic part like a valve stem obsolete? How many million bikes did they sell that used that same valve stem? The only solution they could offer was check the aftermarket. At least they didn't give me a problem returning the part for a refund.

Solution to problem was easy, pull bin box off shelf in garage and dig through the used tire hardware parts and find a valve stem that I probably replaced ten years ago just as a routine thing while changing a tire, inspect rubber seal and it looked perfect and that one actually fit the hole in rim right. Seems someone had replaced this valve stem in the bike's past and used what ever they could find at the time.

This making things obsolete I see as being a major problem in the future with all the electronic devices on equipment. At least for those who can not afford to own a new machine and just want something like a D6C or 951C to do little odd jobs cleaning out a pond on a farm. A few years from now take an other wise great working machine and have some rodent chew through a wire and short out an ECM now instead of splicing a few wires and getting back to work you are left searching for a ECM and someone with an old version of Cat ET on a lap top that still remembers where he put the cables to hook it up.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
6613-deep under 123 then low range 12345.

New parts kid from Mack stopped yesterday-I gave him a BW foot valve for a 60 mack and sent him away away looking for it.

Truck Shop
Maybe his grandpa will help him figure out what it is?

Too bad you are not going to be keeping the truck original with something like a Quadruplex transmission would love to see what he would do if you told them you needed a clutch brake for a TRQ 7220 with a push type clutch!

crane operator

Was the deep under to low range shift synchronized like a regular 9- or 10-speed or did you have to match it yourself somehow?

What was the largest engine these could be used with?

The range shift is just like a range shift in a 9 speed, but its got to get down pretty slow in road speed, before it will drop into low.

I have two cranes with 613's. Drove one today. 6-71 and knocking on 80,000 lbs. Its actually a really nice transmission- in that the gears down low are much closer together than a newer (9513, etc.) 13 speed.

Nothing wrong with a 613, or 6613, they just can't handle a ton of torque. 600ft.lbs or so

I actually shift my 35 ton 613 a little different than the "shift" pattern. I'll actually use all 5 gears down in the low range, then make the range shift into like 3rd of direct- kind of like you can shift a newer 15 speed.

Otherwise with my 6.17 rears, I'm barely going fast enough in 3rd low to have time to make the range shift to 1st of direct, if its uphill up at all. With the torque monster that 6-71 is, you have to pay attention driving it- there's no lugging or powering through a wrong gear choice.

Truck Shop

Was the deep under to low range shift synchronized like a regular 9- or 10-speed or did you have to match it yourself somehow?

What was the largest engine these could be used with?[/QUOTE.

3rd in deep under is the perfect split to 1st in low range on a 6613-hence Fuller called it a 13spd. But really it should have been dubbed a 15spd by Fuller. Front section has a smaller
case and the back section is about the same as a early full size 13spd. Slightly different to assemble, International spec'ed many 466's with that gear box and 456 rear gears, great
on/off road rig.

Maybe his grandpa will help him figure out what it is?

Too bad you are not going to be keeping the truck original with something like a Quadruplex transmission would love to see what he would do if you told them you needed a clutch brake for a TRQ 7220 with a push type clutch!

Really the only thing I'm using that's Mack is the cab and nose, the rest will be Cummins, Eaton. I just Sh!t canned two Mack Quadruplex gear boxes and a set of Mack drives on Mack camelback.
But it is fun to hand a {today's parts guy} something that's 60 years old and tell him to round one those up.

Truck Shop

td25c

Otherwise with my 6.17 rears, I'm barely going fast enough in 3rd low to have time to make the range shift to 1st of direct, if its uphill up at all. With the torque monster that 6-71 is, you have to pay attention driving it- there's no lugging or powering through a wrong gear choice.

That's about normal for a 426 cubic inch Detroit yanking around 80,000 pounds In the flat lands of Branson , Missouri . :D