• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back In The Saddle Again

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
After a 6 month stint loading scrap metal in a junkyard I finally got back into the dirt again..working for JC Excavation from Kennard, Nebraska. We are doing grading for the new Wally World store in Blair.
I am running 621B/627B's or whatever they need me to do..scrapers are simialr vintage but a lot better units than i used to run, most have the 3406 up front vs. the 3306 for a nice boost in power. Quite a few of the 621B's are ex-military with low frame hours so they are in pretty good condition..except as luck would have it, i get the one they bought to use for parts..open cab, no windshield...and it's still better than some of the 627's I used to run.
Here's a few pix of the new iron...
Better pix to come later, I noticed I had the camera set to take itty bitty pix for some reason..and 2 inches of rain put a halt to work for a few days...

Attachments

• DSC02205 (Small).JPG
    DSC02205 (Small).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,314
  • DSC02204 (Small).JPG
    DSC02204 (Small).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,305
  • DSC02203 (Small).JPG
    DSC02203 (Small).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,320

mitch504

Congratulations, I think. I'm probably one of the few operators who's been in the industry over 20 yrs, but never run a scraper. Seriously, It is good to get back in the dirt, ain't it? I like being able to see the results of my work.

Gavin84w

I have only ever been out of work for 4 months in 26 years of playing with yellow iron and all other times have been good on the way through so certainly sympathise with you in that you have to take what comes your way, mind you that era of Cat gear with pacman style decals is some of the best iron they have produced and comes with character sometimes way better than the modern stuff of today. Ex military 21,s refitted with hitches would be very good buying at the right price i would say.

tctractors

Alan, its good to see you have managed to get back into Dirt, I hope things soon get easier for you on the Coin front, no working man likes to scratch about for a living, if Muck-shifting is your game, its good to be doing what you like best, I stuck with Motor Scrapers for 4 years, it seemed like 4 weeks but the pressure on me was insane, the amount of nights I put in sorting out old bangers was untrue, as a matter of interest I once asked my muck-shift Forman (slasher) why we dont try the hook and bail hitches instead of push loading, I will not print his exact reply, but it was not something I dare do again, the general theme was the scrapers had a tough enough time as things stood, without tearing themselfs to bits, the scrapers I started off with were 631a's then onto 631c's and a fair sized heard of TS14's,the cats copped a shove from D9G's the 14's copped a shove from anything that moved under its own power.

wishing you and your family all the best in the years ahead. tctractors keep blowing it on

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Leroy, the answer is......sort of.
Right now the saddle is on the shelf and the horse is in the stable.
As glad as I am that Nebraska isn't getting all the "interesting" weather the south and east is, what we have had is bad enough.
I (and as far as I know, any of the other operators) haven't been able to work since April the
14th about noon...we've been getting rain about every third day, and what little drying gets done with temps in the low 60's or less, and cloudy days without end, the next rain wipes out.
For instance, we got a 10 minute deluge this afternoon, which wiped out what little drying got done since it quit raining on Tuesday morning.
The devil was beating his wife, i.e., the sun was shining while it poured.

The forecast seems to be improving, the temps are slowly coming up and while the rain forecasts are fewer, there is a chance for Friday...and Monday...
Nature must think I enjoy poverty!
Here's to hoping it really dries out, and not warm up too much and crank the humidity up to mid 80% levels like it usually does.....bringing typical thunderstorms! I want the light show but not the shower!

Alan

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Hope things work out better with the weather. We have been getting the same thing here. I have only worked two days yet this year, I will be real happy to see some sunshine.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
(sigh) The Whether Channel (get the pun?) now saying there is an 80% chance of thunderstorms Friday night into Saturday morning...geez.
If it is going to rain I want a good light show then! EGS, I feel your pain..there is a sun up there, it's out today for a change.
Alan

Attachments

• lineman.jpg
    lineman.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 850

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya'll just need to learn to grade mud like we to down here.

I can't be leave some of the stuff I have seen pass compaction down here. Everything must be LGP and nothing bigger then a D6.

One job I finished when they started the hit ground water within 2 weeks. We were even getting stuck in our LGP dozers. After getting a nice hard crust on the fill they passed it, but if you broke through that crust I hope you had a cable.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Update:
No t-storms just showers..went back to work today on a 627B..the "parts machine" was sold so I don't have to deal with that anymore..
And back to work tomorrow too..about time. Pretty wet dirt to deal with too.

Alan627b

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Glad to see your back to work. I got to work yesterday too. It's been a terrible spring, there hasn't been any corn planted here yet. Last year we were done planting by now.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Today was a major PITA...the dirt keeps getting nastier the further down we go..either it's all horrible or there is a real hard layer down there somewhere holding moisture above it.
My 627B only has the 3306 front and rear opposed to the other two..and it ain't a powerhouse at all..plus it has the 29.5-29 short tires too..I swear it could get stuck on a spilled glass of water...why anyone would ever spec those is beyond me.
I think I got stuck about 4 times, and had to be cabled twice...I felt like an apprentice again. Both the other scrapers got stuck at least once each..the D8H we are being pushed with got buried at least twice, and that tow cable is heavy!
Man I hope tomorrow is easier!

Alan

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Its good to see we are not the only ones getting crap weather, we are having our share of rain here in S. E. QLD as well, got one day in last week, the first two were public holidays did Wed, rain that nite and showers Thurs/ Fri, fine on Sat/ Sun/Mon which was a public holiday, work today and get thunder storm tis arvo so tomorrow is probably out and the long range forecast is for 4 fine days in the next 3 weeks, our job is weeks behind time due the very wet season we have had here in Queensland, They call this the Sunshine state, what a load of crap, specially this year. But thats earthmoving for ya. Cheers RDG.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Got moved to a new job in Bennington, Nebraska to grade for a new school..a little closer to home. So far no mud..but it's early yet! Traded my 627 for a 621B with the big engine....loads itself surprisingly well considering it's only a single engine..EROPS, no A/C, but it's got a cab fan and it works. I'll try and get some new pictures tomorrow.
No green monsters please, WabcoMan! I'd have a sore back AND be deaf!.. OK, MORE deaf....
Hope ya get some drier weather soon, RDG..I feel your pain..might rain here tomorrow night..I hope not.

Gonna hit the sack and sleep like the dead....

Alan