• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Back in the Day"

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Is that frame surrounded by water? Must have been an extra challenge to set up. Was it used for unloading or loading barges? Great picture.

Betelgeuse

My son and I found this cool discovery (we’ll rediscovery last time I was here I didn’t have a camera) at Whatcom falls park/hatchery in Bellingham. I can only imagine what steamed across this old trestle back in the day. It is a small one comparatively but impressive nonetheless.
6DC18DEB-5D60-4A9C-86BF-8A376FAEA908.jpeg 9705F97F-E692-4FC6-B7F0-2EFFF898C1C8.jpeg C8AA1A7D-558F-44CE-9A11-D30B42DFADD2.jpeg

Tugger2

Hi John
The A frame was used for yarding from shoreside. If you can make out the stiff leg coming out the from of the float at the foot of the A sticks.Then there was a shore guy running thru blocks a bout 30 feet up each A stick to stumps on shore. From there it was regular High Lead logging going back about 800 feet yarding into the water.I was 14 at the time my summer job in camp. I was fortunate to spend a bit of time on the A frame when it was running. They flew 3 1 1/8" chokers and always seemed to rip stumps clear of the hangups.Pretty exciting to watch some old time loggers gettin wood.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Tugger2, thanks for info, that must have been something to see, yarding them down into the water. Getting chokers loose must've been fun and wet work?

Tugger2

They usually landed the wood on the stiffleg so the chaser could run out and unhook. On this rig they would use a dozer boat to peel the wood off the stiffleg. I got that job sometimes lots of fun for a young guy.