1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Ax Men

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by EZ TRBO, Feb 21, 2008.

1. thejdman04

thejdman04 Senior Member

I feel for the family in the dog incident. After watching the first season of ax men, I had a lot of respect for jay browning, how he didn't accept any disability money etc from his employer when the hand mishap happened etc. Now however after the recent "shooting of the phone" on the last episode and him allowing them to drum up his bee stinging for 3 weeks on the show, I have lost a lot of respect for him. To me something that has to do with you health shouldn't be dramatized. Rygard, that is a whole other story, gabe said the green horn had no work ethic, was disrespectful to his company etc and yet he was still at his house begging him to come to work. I realize he spent time and money training him, but if you truly think someone is disrespectful and has no work ethic why would you beg him to come back to work.

2. EGS

EGS Senior Member

Local 139 operator

Not saying that I disagree but remember that it is made in Hollywood. I would be willing to bet that if you where there in real life it would be a lot different. I think most of that is edited to look that way.

3. KW318

KW318 Active Member

Very sad about the little girl.

The show has become unbearable to watch.

4. excav8r

excav8r Well-Known Member

Equipment Operator
    i'm not sure they are even bothering to air it in canada

5. EGS

EGS Senior Member

Local 139 operator
    Check the Browning website there is a letter up about the dog attack.

6. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator
    Jay's Letter Regarding Ashlynn:
    Ashlynn

I am sure many people that see us on TV think we are nothing but hotheads. Our work can test your temper, it’s stressful. Home life is way different. Do some people really think we would train our dogs to attack people or even kids?

I gave up hunting because I did not enjoy killing a beautiful animal like elk or deer. I love animals, especially dogs. Jess and Jared grew up around German Shepards. We always had one or two extra large dogs, most were black and tan, intimidating to look at. Now after this tragedy, could this same thing have happened to our family with the boys or their friends?

Our dogs were never fenced in. We lived in the country and they never left the property. They instinctively guarded our home and watched over the boys when they were playing or walking in the woods. One dog in particular would walk the boys to the school bus in the morning and head for the school bus stop 10 minutes before the bus arrived in the afternoon to safely walk them home. After the boys would go in the house, the dog would lay down in front of the door outside and keep watch. We never trained him to do this. I trusted the dog with their young lives. An attack such as this never entered my mind. What in the world could trigger this sort of thing?

Jess and Dette’s dogs are kept in a huge fenced in yard, the fence being at lease five feet tall. Ashynn was in the front yard, the dogs in the back. The female has never gotten over the fence. I don’t know how it could, but it did. I have pet these dogs many times with no hesitation, they were so friendly. A large male they had was put down four months ago after he was aggressive with a family member. These dogs were the family pets. They were kept in a fenced back yard. Anytime kids were near the dogs, so were Jess and Dette, always watching. This was very freak and we will never understand. In some way I hope families with pets can learn from this. I pray no family will ever have to go through this horrible experience.

Ashynn Dawn Anderson was the love of all her huge family, the daughter of loving father Ryan Anderson and his girlfriend Katie her other mommy and brother Patrick, loving mother Dette Parker Browning and Jesse her other daddy and sister to Jaycie. There are many families grieving this tragic loss Andersons, Wings, Parkers, Brownings and a huge family of friends. She touched all our hearts.

People need to stop with the cruel statements. You do not know the circumstances, you assume. To look at these young parents and the pain in their eyes, hurts us all so bad. All our families have such empty feelings in our hearts that will be with us forever.

Ashlynn was such a precious angel and will not allow me to fight back with a nasty letter. I thank the many people for their thoughts and prayers as we try to prepare for the impossible task of laying her to rest. Please stop the remarks while we cry, remember and occasionally laugh at the many things she did that melted our hearts.

Cherish your moments with your children, grandchildren and parents. That’s the way Ashlynn would have wanted it. I hope it is not your last.

Jay Browning

7. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    I was not aware of this tragedy.

Thanks for posting Tonka.

Amen.

8. Pootermagavin

Pootermagavin Member

9. HCF

HCF Well-Known Member

Fabricator
    Youre exactly right about that. I was always told that it was an OSHA reg. The seam at the bottom of your pant legs has to be cut off. That way if your running from a runaway off a bad landing and you get a limb through your pant leg it will rip out instead of you being stuck and being crushed. This is why the Filson tin pants dont have a seam there. . .

10. JeremyM70

JeremyM70 Senior Member

Electronics Tech
  11. DirtHauler

DirtHauler Senior Member

Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
    here is contractloggers mention of this season from earlier this year.

The link shows the machine. I hope they got a new logo on it before filming started. Would be kinda funny to see the previous owners logo on the machine in the show.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?p=237214#post237214

12. JeremyM70

JeremyM70 Senior Member

Electronics Tech
    That's right, forgot about that. On the History Channel website they have some teaser videos for the new season by Papac and they do show the TMY70 in the background, couldn't tell if it still had the Jepson lettering on it still :tong

According to the link I found Lemare Logging will be on this year, I assume this is the same as Lake Lemare Logging? <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3764/is_200609/ai_n16855782/>

Looks like a big outfit.

13. Joe schmo

Joe schmo New Member

Do you know if the skyline is too long and laying on the ground .... do you use a jack tree to raise the line off the ground? If so, how does the carriage make it passed the tree?

14. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

Most yarders still in use have a skyline drum, so that's not why the skyline is on the ground. This is a problem occurs when there is a high spot in the middle of the slope or the tower or tailhold doesn't have enough lift to keep it in the air. Here is a pic of an intermediate support. http://www.lni.wa.gov/wisha/rules/loggingoperations/images/fig-22.gif