• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Avant Compact Loaders

lumberjack

The 4 and 500 series are at a reasonable price point and fit some interesting niches. Bigger than the 500, and I prefer the Gehl AL340 and 540. I prefer the 140 to the 4-500 Avant, but the 140 is discontinued (hopefully temporary) due to tier 4 issues.

If you're going to be using a grapple or other manipulating hydraulic attachment, I recommenf getting the 6 function joystick, which puts the auxiliary function on two buttons on the joystick. The 6-700 series come with an 8 function, which includes boom telescope functions on the joystick.

What kinda thoughts are you looking for? I'm reasonably familiar with the line ;).

gearhead82

I demoed one about 2 years ago. I personally was not a fan. It had a proprietary attachment plate which i did not care for. It was also pretty expensive for what you got out of it.

For the price, there were a lot of other machines that had a better value. I get nervous buying something that I have never seen in the field and this was one of them.

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
What kinda thoughts are you looking for? I'm reasonably familiar with the line ;).

I demoed the Avant (a 528 I think) this past summer when I went to my local JCB dealer to really look at a JCB 260T CTL. I currently own a 2012/13 NH L220 SSL with OTT. The side entry JCB & its cab is unique in SSL/CTL circles. I asked to drive the Avant because I've never driven an articulated loader of any size. In general, a loader won't work for me because I've got wet ground/bottomless muddy conditions, but the Avant was a blast to drive!! They do now have a std. skid steer attach plate available. I was intrigued with their unique articulation (the back articulates, rather than the front where you sit, so you are always in-line with the arms), with their telescoping ability, & their one-lever quick attach/detach auxiliary hydraulics hoses.

It seemed that they incorporated a lot of good ideas (albeit, not cheaply), & I wondered who was using them & for what, & if other manufacturers offered some or all of their features.

didden6

the brand :Giant are much better but you have to take the stabilisator pack because all machines that turn in the middle loos their balance wen you turn with weight on the pallet fork but they are very strong and durable

Coastiebro

Occupation
Ex diesel mechanic now contractor
My "new to me" Avant 520 as I am doing more work around houses and a normal skid steer won't fit where I want to go. Thought about a "stand up" but a comment from some of my customers about what I can do compared with a "dingo" has sealed the deal. I also now have a Terex PT 30 but haven't used it in "anger" yet.20160711_130213.jpg

Coastiebro

Occupation
Ex diesel mechanic now contractor
Hi there lumberjack, you are correct it has an all metal body, this is an earlier version so no plastic here! Not looking at the tag, if I remember correctly 2008 year, done 2600 hrs , have the 4 in 1 bucket, extension arm, 18 and 12 inch augers, and set of pallet forks. Has switchable aux hydraulics either single or dual pump flow control from joy stick or leaver, looking for a rock breaker as got some concrete demo work lined up next month, even going to mount a log splitter for a little "recreational time" Measures just under 1 meter wide (whats that 38 inches?) weighs 800 kg (1600 lbs roughly) switchable 4 wheel drive so not to mark grass area. Kubota powered.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
The 4 and 500 series are at a reasonable price point and fit some interesting niches. Bigger than the 500, and I prefer the Gehl AL340 and 540. I prefer the 140 to the 4-500 Avant, but the 140 is discontinued (hopefully temporary) due to tier 4 issues.

If you're going to be using a grapple or other manipulating hydraulic attachment, I recommenf getting the 6 function joystick, which puts the auxiliary function on two buttons on the joystick. The 6-700 series come with an 8 function, which includes boom telescope functions on the joystick.

Gehl supposed to have a US version again this summer...