• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

auto scanners

mbavers

(I hope I'm in the right section) I would appreciate advice on purchasing an auto scanner without having to take a computer course:(. I have a 2008 Kia and a 2017 Tundra. Are all the plug ends the same? All I want to do is diagnose check engine lights and do simple trouble shooting. I want a direct reading tool (with its own screen); I don't want to have to hook up to another piece of equipment. All advice appreciated.

ianjoub

Post '97 the feds mandated OBDII, all plugs are the same. Code reading and diagnostics are 2 different things. A $50 Harbor Freight is all you need for code reading. For diagnostics, how good you get = how much $$$ you spend.

mbavers

Post '97 the feds mandated OBDII, all plugs are the same. Code reading and diagnostics are 2 different things. A $50 Harbor Freight is all you need for code reading. For diagnostics, how good you get = how much $$$ you spend.

Today I saw my first one-an Actron that someone diagnosed my "check engine" light as a bad oxygen sensor. I thought reading the code was a diagnosis. Educate this old guy (me).

Mike4799

Check out Thinkcar Thinkdiag. About $120.00 on amazon. Its an obd2 dongle and phone app. Will do live data, codes, and a surprising amount of bidirectional functions.

ianjoub

Today I saw my first one-an Actron that someone diagnosed my "check engine" light as a bad oxygen sensor. I thought reading the code was a diagnosis. Educate this old guy (me).
Code reader says oxygen sensor (reading out of range). You then have to determine if the oxygen sensor is sending a faulty signal or if it is the correct signal because there is a fault causing the correct reading that is out of parameters.

If the reader says 02 sensor heater fault, it is the heater circuit of the 02 sensor or the PCM not telling it to preheat (which virtually never happens). Replace the O2 sensor in this case.

mbavers

Thanks to all for responses. Since the guy that read it determined it need a new upstream O2 sensor I ordered a new one and will install it. Then I'll buy a cheap auto scanner and see what I can learn. Days are getting longer now; since I'm working outdoors I'd sure rather be doing this in the summer.

hardy541

i use several apps, Forscan, OBD JScan, and Car scanner. Heres an idea of what you can do with FORScan, access every possible setting and deep diagnostics, allws you to delete def etc. you can run them all with a wireless dongle but the full version of FORScan you need a windows system. upload_2022-1-13_21-16-21.png

mbavers

i use several apps, Forscan, OBD JScan, and Car scanner. Heres an idea of what you can do with FORScan, access every possible setting and deep diagnostics, allws you to delete def etc. you can run them all with a wireless dongle but the full version of FORScan you need a windows system. View attachment 251992

Thanks for the info. I can't imagine an F250 without 4x4:rolleyes: