1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Auto Patrol grader

Discussion in 'Motor Graders' started by trombeur, Sep 27, 2021.

1. trombeur

trombeur Senior Member

Auto Patrol grader.
    on the net I casually read a discussion that dealt with the old auto patrol grader, I don't remember if it was caterpillar Champion or galion, could you give me more information about this historical earthmoving machinery thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JPV and bccat like this.
  2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Your last pic. answers your question.

3. JPV

JPV Senior Member

I owned a #9 Autopatrol that was identical to the one in your first picture for a while, I believe it was built in 1932. My understanding is that they were the first motor grader built from the ground up that were self propelled and all controls are powered. They were "knuckle busters", the sliding jaw clutches would hammer on the levers when they got worn and would rap your knuckles. I believe it used the same 4 cylinder gas motor that the Cat Twenty crawler had in it. It was hand crank start, I learned the hard way how to start it properly! It was a really neat machine and worked good but was a lot of work to grade a curvy road with. It gave me a lot of appreciation for the old timers that made their living on them and other then a lot of obvious refinements the basic machine is pretty much like what is built today.

4. trombeur

trombeur Senior Member

thanks for the precious testimony, I think today's ones trace the roads in a perfect way as altitude tolerance, at least I think. Thank you.