• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

auto awd question

mbavers

I know this is the wrong place, but I don't know where else to go. I tried the Kia forum but can't navigate it! I have a 2008 Kia Sportage. The HECU (which controls ABS and AWD) is bad. There is a recall on it and I have to drive 240 miles to the dealer.
The AWD symbol (schematic showing axle and wheels) is flashing green, indicating that I don't have AWD working. My question is, if I drive it like this will I do any damage to the AWD system. I would think that since it is flashing green (rather than amber like the ABS symbol) it should be OK to drive, but I don't want to break anything. Any info would be appreciated.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Not likely harmful but if its under a recall and acting up, call the dealer and ask, they may send a ramp out to pick it up and maybe be nice enough to drop off a rental car!

mbavers

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I called KIA and am waiting for them to call back. I have a feeling I'll be driving to the dealer.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I also agree it wont likely damage anything, you just wont have 4X4. It is likely just an actuator failing. I doubt you will get Kia to pick it up in Homer, Alaska but if they do let us know!

mbavers

I also agree it wont likely damage anything, you just wont have 4X4. It is likely just an actuator failing. I doubt you will get Kia to pick it up in Homer, Alaska but if they do let us know!

KIA just called me and said they might be sending a technician out to me. I was dumbfounded, as it is a 5 1/2 hour drive one way from Anchorage, but they said they do it all the time in AK.

mbavers