• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Australia which Forestry head for T870 Bobcat

Steve Bates

Gidday from Australia, my son runs a T870 100HP low/hi flow Bobcat and I'm doing the homework as usual (my choice was the 870 including rippers and setup for joystick control, he loves it) anyhow we need a big forestry head to do clearing work for Electricity line company and general regrowth clearing jobs around the traps.
Has anyone got any advice on the best all round head to buy. We already know about the forestry kit we will be getting from Bobcat and the fuel consumption which I hear is about 4.5 gallons per hour but any other knowledge would be great like machine life expectancy etc. Also any joystick knowledge would also be appreciated.
Wonder what the going rate in the U.S. is for forestry work with our setup would be, maybe could come over and give you guys a hand with the new wall ha ha...
Steve

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
FAE Fecon and AHWI have a good representation but leave Loftness alone, no service away over the top prices for parts if you can get them and they don't work that well. Allow 25 litres per hour for fuel.
Going rates in the US from what iv'e been told are quite a bit less than OZ but so is machinery prices, about half, fuel prices about half etc.

Joe Fick

I been researching pretty hard laetely between the diamond mower vs advanced forestery equipment and im leaning more towards athe afe brand becuase i live in rocky conditions and theyre more sutiatable for rockey areas

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
You would be very lucky to work on a power network with a AFE type mulcher. Forrest NSW a number of years ago banned the disc type falling heads because they were to dangerous.AFE are very similar in the way they work .