• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin Western Pacer 300

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Here are a few pictures of my old Austin Western. I am not sure of the model. Its clearly older then the Pacer 300 that Atco posted the shots of.

I guess I can't post the pictures. You will have to click on the links below.

-Andy

Attachments

• DSCF2622.jpg
    DSCF2622.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF2618.jpg
    DSCF2618.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 933
  • DSCF2617.jpg
    DSCF2617.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 920
  • DSCF2623.jpg
    DSCF2623.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 910
  • DSCF2615.jpg
    DSCF2615.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 911

td25c

Thats nice looking Austin western grader Andy1845c and I also like the new paint on the cable blade cat.I always liked austin western equipment.I think they were some of the first equipment companys to build hydrauilc cranes and they also built a nice hydraulic wrecker bed that the U.S. military used for many years.Cool stuff!

Last edited:

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks guys! Shes old, maybe even late 40's old, but still working. Needs a little more TLC though. I graded the neighbors driveway and township road yesterday and one of the tire casings split and the tube poked out..... DOH!

The Cat is a D-8 15A :) I repainted it this summer.

Attachments

• DSCF2607.jpg
    DSCF2607.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 870
  • dozer 2.jpg
    dozer 2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 893
  • Dozer.jpg
    Dozer.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 855

td25c

You have the D-8 looking like it came off the showroom floor Andy.Hey ATCOEQUIP,Have you got to run the pacer 300 yet?Thats a neet grader .Ahead of it's time with the all wheel drive & steering on both axils,pretty cool.

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
I remember collecting some AW literature, from the '60's or early '70's (I think), and it had stories about the snow plowing abilities of their machines. Once upon a time, all of these machines were the newest and best available from the various manufacturers. Some of them had interesting answers to the blading and snow removal problems of their day. If you have never had the chance to operate one of these older machines, from any of the many manufacturers of the past, you will never really understand how good we all have it now. I still enjoy jumping into or onto an old piece of equipment. Thinking back to the old days, when people just like us, climbed on in the morning, ate dirt all day, and crawled off at night, knowing that the next day would bring more of the same. To those of you who are lucky enough to latch on to one of these old machines, I envy you.

smoothoperator...buy clean fuel...keep it clean.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Andy, Looks like a late 50's Super 100. the rounded radiator cover is what makes me think it is from the late 50's and the high lift cylinder. Mine is a 63 and has the same cab but the grill is not as round and the high lift cylinder is of the newer design. You have hydraulic steering with the "T" handle which was also from the late 50's or real early 60's.
The same basic design with all wheel steer and all wheel drove has been around sense mid 40's. This grader design was way ahead of it's time in the 40's.
That sure is a nice big back window you have there.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You have the D-8 looking like it came off the showroom floor Andy.Hey ATCOEQUIP,Have you got to run the pacer 300 yet?Thats a neet grader .Ahead of it's time with the all wheel drive & steering on both axils,pretty cool.

They've kept me pretty busy with other machines, haven't had a chance to play with the A-W. Hope to in the next few weeks.

Sweet cable Cat ya got there Andy. ;)

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
P1020529.JPG
This is an old thread, but I want to add a pic of my old Austin Western Here.

‎4-71 Detroit Diesel powered Austin Western Grader, (believe it is an early 60's Super 300) working on grading the area around our 'Ground Source Heat Pump' wells and water lines.

Woo-Hoo! A project coming together!

BTW, the rear steering on the Super is essential for getting this thing turned.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Old thread yes, but da-yum, that's a nice pic, and a sharp looking A-W you got there Brian! :cool:

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Thanks! I drove the blade around our property, grading a bit on the fields and on a trail. My cousin and I did an in-frame engine rebuild last winter - in the cold! It is running good, but the rack adjustment is not quite right yet. Ready for winter snow plowing.

That Detroit 2-Stroke sound is quite a sound! Also, Steering and Stopping this thing is a real experience.

And Thank you for the help with the driveline on my truck! This dirt project was underway when I broke it. We had snow yesterday, so all projects r finishing up just in time.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Snow, jeeez, that's a dirty word around these parts, leafs are just now turning 'round here. I hate to see summer come to an end. :D

BTW, it has become my mission in life to see to it those old Detroit's continue to live, I have no idea why, but they are picky about the oil. Don't use multigrade oil such as 15W/40. I reckon I have a desire to advise owners of these engines to use the right oil because I have burned many a gallon of diesel fuel running those things, unique sound indeed. :yup

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
The oil issue for Jimmys:beatsme: The Ash and Zinc content in the oil is extremely important for the Jimmy 2-stroke...Less than 1% ash, 0.07% Zinc. Straight weight, 30, 40 or 50.
From the 471 DD manual:
Oil-AshContentDetroit.png
There are obsolete classifications mentioned. CC turned into CD,
which turned into CD-II which became CF-2 and CF-2 is being discontinued
from API: CD-II Introduced in 1987. For two-stroke-cycle engines.
CF-2 Introduced in 1994. For severe duty, two-strokecycle engines. Can be used in place of CD-II oils.

I looked around and found Walmart Universal Motor oil, met all the requirements, was CF-2, was available.
Walmart_Supertechsae30.png
A popular oil for the DD 2 stroke was DELO100. The oil has to be low ash, less than 0.85%.
That is from the manual and guys like Willie59 who know.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Okay I see ware you are getting your information. Do you have any idea how old that report/study is? Just asking because I have been using delo 400 sense the 60's and have never had to rebuild a motor of any kind due to wear.
I am not trying to prove anything here just wondering if changing to delo 100 would show me any noticeable improvement. I mean I expect to wear out before that old 4/71 does.
The only motor I have that does not use delo 400 15/40 is in my Shelby and to stock another to get 5 or 10 years past my death, would it be worth it?
By the way if I get up your way in the spring do you mind me looking you up and checking out your AW?

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Pretty much all of the old timers, you and me, we just aren't there yet;), just kidding, I qualify for old timerhood, I just don't know or remember much, where am I, oh, right, the old timers say:

Only straight wt CF-2 in the 2-stroke diesels. Premature engine failure may result, or at the least ridicule for using the 'wrong oil'! The DD Manual states multi-grade oils should only be used as a last resort. Perhaps Oil technology has advanced, but the statement that multi-grades do not compare, and shortened engine life by fleet owner reports cause me to look for a good straight wt...There was a ferry line that did a semi-scientific study re low sulfur fuel and low ash oil. They found the low ash straight wts to be best, as I recall...

The issue with the right oil in severe duty 2-strokes is the deposits that occur with too high of an ash content and additives to the oil in some multi-grades.

The following site has some info that has an old timer's advice where he found Delo 400 to be out of Spec.
http://www.tejascoach.com/tips.html
In our frozen parts of the world, you might like the part about carrying bleach: You can use the bleach to pour around the tires and make a short trail in the ice and snow to get traction if it gets too slippery to untrack the vehicle

So, would I get a st wt? yep. Just so my Widow can sell my stuff without some jerk telling her I used the wrong oil in my rigs. Otherwise, it might destroy her whole concept of me as a man where at least she thought I was handy.

Come on by! What do you run in the Shelby? What kind of Shelby? LIke a MK?

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
My wife wanted me to install 6 brass handles on mine. Sounds like she already has plans for it after I am gone.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If you click the link provided by Brian above, you'll find a lot of info about 2 stroke Detroit engines, Tejas Coach has extensive experience with them. The biggest problem with using multi-grade oil in a Detroit is the friction modifiers in the multi grade is not compatible with the piston/liner arrangement of the old Detroits. Over the life of the engine, it will lead to failure before it would using SAE 40, you'll also notice increased oil consumption when using multi grade oil.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Looks like next time I change oil I should consider maybe Delo 30 for the winter. Mine does smoke a bit but I just thought that was the way it was along with the leaking on a jimmy. I do have most of the leaks fixed now only 3 or 4 or 5 or maybe 6 yet to go.
broke an axle a few weeks ago but was able to find parts as needed just took about 3 weeks to get them all.

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Detroit Diesel 4-71: 4 cylinders, 71 leaks

u mean Delo 100 30wt, rt? All st wt CF-2 API are getting hard to get. I opted for 30wt based on the DD Manual, bought 30 wt as it was available, made by Penzoil, they confirmed it had low ash, it was sold by Walmart, but I might have gone with 40 wt if I could have found it as I buy the argument that once the engine is warmed up and running at temp, 40 wt is good no matter the ambient temp. Auxiliary heat to start a DD is a pre-requirement in booger freezing weather.