• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin Western Grader

Michael Dunk

OK, hear is what happened. We have had the Super 300 for a couple of weeks now and I have been out a number of times with it and it has worked well.
I am in southern Colorado at 6500 ft. grading roads for our HOA we have about 20 miles of roads. When the roads are dry they are like cement with a lot of large embedded rocks, when they are wet they are like mush. Today the roads are like cement.
So I was grading the best I could and hit a large rock and the drive shaft broke. The u joint came off the differential.
The question is are the u joint anything that can be purchased new or do I have to find one in the scrap yard.

more info
I have a couple of serial numbers
PGU 1687 this serial number is on the ripper frame
R366 7598 this serial number is on the graders frame
engine is a Detroit diesel

Thanks for any help
Mike

Delmer

Did the cross break? or did the yoke break?

We usually replace a "u joint" but the cross is the part we're replacing, I guess the whole thing would be the U joint technically. The cross should be easy to find or order, the yoke a little harder.

Michael Dunk

I think we have the u joint covered, at least we have one on order.
Next question
The shift for high and low range is throwing trans oil out. The rubber boot is in place. I haven't taken any thing apart is there some sort of gasket under there.

check

Maybe rainwater found a way in and it's floating the oil to the top. I would unscrew the drain plug and let a little out to check it.

Michael Dunk

Thanks for the answers. turns out that what looked like was coming out of the trans is actually dripping out of the stearing valve or motor, I don't know what to call it. It's right where the splined shaft of the steering wheel goes. I hope to find it just needs a new seal.
Anybody know about Fuel caps I have what looks like a 2" pipe comming out of the back of the cab but the treads are fine and a pipe cap does not fit.