1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Auction equipment.................discuss.

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Vetech63, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

People that buy at an auction site unseen deserve this.

mg2361 and DMiller like this.
  2. fastline

fastline Senior Member

I am convinced there is a sucker born every minute. As with ANY sale, the item is being sold for a REASON. That is the very first line item....to figure out why. Sometimes it is going out of business, which usually leads to decent equipment, but no guarantee. What shocks me is what people are willing to pay at auction! Like, if you are going to pay retail, why not go find a private sale where you can truly inspect and test?

But the main issue is pretty much ALL the companies in my area will ONLY auction their equipment. There is no private option.

I will say I got extremely lucky with my last excavator purchase. I was actually calling locals looking for trucking, and mentioned to a guy that I was looking for a hoe. A few things brought her home to me. The guy was a straight shooter and told me about the issues. Mostly being electrical, which I specialize in. He had the machine literally on the lowboy headed to a job and stopped by on the way. A fubar machine is not likely to be taken to a job. As well, the price was FAIR!!!!

Probably the #1 thing I look for with any machine is hackjobs! If I see wire nuts, crimp connectors, panels removed, my interest goes way down! In the case with my excavator, she indeed had issues that not even the dealer could fix, and I have record of it! BUT, nothing was hacked, so it made my job an easy 2hr repair! Look for factory wiring! If owners are not interested in quality repairs, they probably also ignored little things like oil changes and filters.

muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  3. suladas

suladas Senior Member

A lot of companies simply don't want to deal with trying to sell privately and the auction brings a good return. People with the notion that because it's at an auction is junk have never spent any real time seeing the equipment at them, there is everything from pristine to complete junk. The biggest thing is you must inspect before buying and except for really rare cases expect it's going to need work. A lot of auction prices have crept up to above private sale and it's stupid I agree.

My mini hoe and CTL both auction purchases and have been good. Both had a few issues but nothing major but I got good prices on them. The mini ex was a large company who had a few of exactly the same and just turning over equipment, the CTL was a rental. Mini ex came with a pretty good log of work that had been done to it. The only real issue it had when I got it was electrical, cost about $3500 to fix at dealer. The CTL had 1 broken wire and needed a solenoid for aux hydraulics other then that has been great. I would tend to avoid rentals, but it's been fine.

My big hoe I was at the auction and the prices were stupid one came up privately and I stole it, easily would have paid $15k more at auction. Guy was insanely straightforward about it and the machine has been great, he actually offered to send his mechanic to fix a really minor issue I had with it that was suppose to be fixed before I bought.

4. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Local NC County wants an increase to 7.5 %
    With the inflation going on, they're collecting more. I tend to vote against any tax increases. Gov't is like a fungus. As long as there's food (money) the organism will grow. The only limitation is to starve the organism to make it efficient and/or shrink it.

colson04 and DMiller like this.
  5. aucto

aucto New Member

Well Said man, then here's my little advise

There are a few things to keep in mind when buying used equipment:

- Make sure to research the seller and check their rating/reviews.
    - Inspect the equipment before purchasing. Look for any damage or signs of wear and tear.
    - Get a warranty or return policy in writing, just in case there are any issues with the equipment after purchase.
    - Compare prices between different sellers before making a purchase.

Vetech63 likes this.