• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ATTN Field Mechanics, would you swap a service truck for enclosed trailer?

ohiofleet

when i started working for my self it was out of a box truck worked great it was a shop on wheel great in the winter now i have a big service truck with a crain and its nice but i mis the box when the weather is bad

Jatreecompany

During WW2, there were many "field" or "mobile workshops" set up on the back of trucks. There are advantages and disadvantages with a trailer, you have to weigh them up, as to how your working conditions relate to the problems associated with dragging a trailer.
I think the guys above have covered most of the bases. A trailer is really restricted when it comes to accessing rough ground or steep slopes - no matter whether its bumper hitch or 5th wheel.

IMO, a truck with a half pan-type body, and half tray - along with a rear-mount crane - offers the best of both worlds.
You have the ability to lift major components and load them on the tray section for removal to service centers when major service is required.
Then the enclosed section gives you a secure storage and work area that is out of the weather. The height of the truck tray can be overcome with a set of aluminum steps.

Could you post some pictures of this truck your speaking of. Sounds like great idea

wilko

A friend of mine had a school bus with everything, right down to a small lathe, with everything run off of hydraulics from one small diesel engine on the back bumper. That was one slick setup.

I've seen pictures of a medium length school bus that had the back 8 feet or so of the enclosed part removed to make a flatbed back porch with a crane, then had a nice enclosed work space. Sounds about like what OzDozer was talking about..

Last edited:

Jatreecompany

I've seen pictures of a medium length school bus that had the back 8 feet or so of the enclosed part removed to make a flatbed back porch with a crane, then had a nice enclosed work space. Sounds about like what OzDozer was talking about..

Does anyone have any pictures of people using box trucks converted to mechanics trucks

franklinG

enclosed.jpg

You could always get an enclosed service body and have the best of both worlds! :D
We buy all of our bodies from jomac.

lantraxco

Walk-in steel box shop with generator, lights, heat, benches, welder, compressor, etc. and a big porthole sunroof door on top, on an all wheel drive HOOKLIFT truck with winches front and rear and a knuckleboom! LMAO :usa

tctractors

This service truck question is something we don't really suffer with in the U.K. as big service trucks and service trailers would be a liability, take my job yesterday as a for instance, I travelled to a Quarry up North into Cheshire a round trip of 220 miles to work on a CAT cylinder liner job, I know what tools I need and have a Map of our Rock, I have to go back next week to set in the pistons and time the balance shafts so I know what I need to take with me, if its cold and not raining its better than cold and raining but I still manage to just get on with things, 4 wheel drive is required near every day for me plus the need to move at about 65-70 mph on our Motorways, the need to have a complete mobile workshop dragging about would be with No cash benefit, I can and do tackle just about any repair on all the common sized earth moving kit over about 14 ton to 150 ton usually on my own out of the back of my L/Rover that I sometimes hook to an open trailer to throw a chunk in, sometimes less is best, I cannot think of anything I would not tackle by myself on equipment within this range at the moment, there is a few lads rolling about "with all the gear" but they seem to tackle things in an odd way to me.
tctractors keep your cash in your pocket.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Gotcha lantraxco! (big grin)

Isn't it amazing though how different methods and needs for basically doing the same job have evolved in different places.

I suppose it all comes down to cost . . . tools and equipment and interest rates in the US are much lower but the charge out rates are similar giving folks the ability and justification to acquire all the kit.

Cheers.

02Dmax

3 yr update- glad I saw this thread pop back up. I went to a 14' enclosed trailer about a year after I started this thread. I absolutely love it. Obviously as has been said different jobs make different rigs handier. The type of work I do is somewhat similar to TC's. I usually know what I need, I usually need 4x4, and it needs to be maneuverable. I am able to keep quite a bit with me though. More than I could in a big truck. My main reason for going to this was 4x4 and shelter. I work outside basically every day.

Current rig.
e7104d39f2a9deb1757d8f2fe04a6547.jpg
04c811978ba0188a82ca15a58400e452.jpg
1d3ffeeca0114f225ac0b7d88db255ac.jpg

monster truck

When I first started out on my own, I built a 5x10 trailer and pulled it around with my Jeep. I was crowded for space, and it was bit on the heavy side, but I always seemed to have what I needed to get the job done.

b8877eed06ed3ebd9e0498b2975ab5df.jpg

64053b5071f79f926c7de81a2ed57950.jpg

Now, I have an F-450 service truck with a 34' manlift/crane combo boom. I have a lot more room for tool storage, and having everything in boxes is nice

b7f44e7ff06b679a31543f22a9cc500e.jpg

8da5cf94f581a5fe76ed79538a00f958.jpg

aa10da69328abd26a4ac5781e0f72fa7.jpg

The funny thing is, I'm just as tight on room with the truck as I was with the trailer, I just have a lot more crap packed in their! In all reality, if it wasn't for the crane I would go back to a trailer setup in a heartbeat. I could do without the manlift, but the crane is an absolute necessity.

If I had it all to do over again, I would setup a tandem axle enclosed trailer as a mobile shop, and buy a flatbed truck with a crane on it to pull it with, and if I get an opportunity to sell my current service truck for the right price, that's probably what I'll do. The advantages of a trailer setup definitely outweigh the negative for me. What really got my wheels turning on that idea was an auction I recently attended where I saw this truck, flatbed, crane, and just enough toolboxes to keep some essential stuff, or carry enough to a remote job that the trailer couldn't go

3d615252625ccf6f677a689b8237a487.jpg

53b46ac37a80e83c677e827530896c32.jpg