• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV's for concrete?

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
ok, ive got a very small foundation removal job comin up and it is way to small for any of my equipment. im not getting paid much for it because it is to get ready for my cousins wedding reception at his fiances house. due to the payment issue it will be tough to rent a machine however i am great friends with our local asv dealer and he has told me before that if i ever need any equipment rentals to let him know and he will let me "test drive:D" a unit for a few days free of charge. what i need to know is this, is an rc 100 with a grapple good for lifting busted slabs? it is in their back yard so i will be on turf which they are very particular about. that is why i cant use any of my larger backhoes. will it be good for this job? will it tear up the turf too much? if i get the unit i am going to try and just turn on top of where the slab is though. but it is a tiny slab. maybe 20'x30'. it was an old shed that my cousin just tore down for them (it was funny because he is training to be a surgeon and not real used to heavy outdoor work. thats why he isnt doing this for them) if i can do the job i will have pics of the progress as the work goes on. please let me know ASAP as i have a stump grinding job at this same house tommorow and i am taking my jackhammer and a dumpster over there and would like to be able to let them know then. thanks guys.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Hey 334. I cannot speak for the ASV100, but I use my root grapple with a CAt 242 (2,000# rated machine) to haul slab pieces and rocks all the time. So I say yues- it'll work with regards to weight. Now with the tracks- I'll let a track person chime in on that.

special tool

I helped a buddy of mine on a union job for a week operating one of those.
I don't think you will have any problems at all.

In fact, I believe I still have the op/safety video on VHS.:D

D5G

334, if you have any concerns, just grab some plywood (yes its not easy on a tight budget). Good luck and please be sure and keep us updated.

dieselnut

Banned
Occupation
Site Prep and Grading
Laying down plywood is the way to go for a job like this. You can use OSB. It will be a lot cheaper then buying regular plywood. Even if you get enough so you can have a turn around area and then a few sheets to lay down and then pick up and put in front of the machine and repeat. Hope this helps.

jimmyjack

the rc100 got more then enough power to do it , but remember its a 10000# machine....u shouldnt mess up the yard to much, if its dry..if it were wet u might rip up the grass turning...u only really need to put the plywood in the spots were you gonna be doing tight turns, other then that it leaves very little foot print, iirc its 3.5 psi .....thats just my experince with my pt80

JDOFMEMI

I have done similar work with my Cat 287. It will work just fine. I would only worry about the grass if you have to make repeated tight turns in one place. The grapple bucket is perfect for picking up slabs. Usually you can pick from one expansion joint to the next in one bite.

Also, don't worry about the tracks on the concrete if it is only a little bit. If you do it daily, your tracks will be junk soon, but they will take some of it. Just be easy on it.

Last edited:

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
got it done. i ended up actually goin with a small kobelco mini excavator. worked out great. the only problem is that now i want to buy one.

Last edited: