1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

ASV water separator

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by Arny L, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Arny L

Arny L Active Member

My old ASV 30 doesnt have a water separator on it, and this year has been brutal cold up here in Canada, I park my machine in a warm shop, and im concerned about condensation in tank, A couple of times I ve caught my machine stumbling, or missing for a second, but it continues to run. I suspect some water in fuel. Is there a particular type of separator, i should get. Or will any quality unit work. I see some with heaters and other features. Is there not a stock fuel filter with a drain on it that I could use. My current one does not, Any ASV owners can chime in, Thanks

2. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

I add a Napa 3972 inline screen (if you have 5/16 lines) on the outlet line from the tank to all my Takeuchi and Kubotas. They all had screen only separators and I couldn't make 200 hours on fuel filters.
    Then, I use a Stanadyne FM100 separator @ 30 micron with the optional water bowl. You don't necessarily need the bowl kit, but, i like to see what's going on.
    Screenshot_20220127-175041_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    mg2361, Coaldust and Delmer like this.
  3. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    Thanks. I forget about those Stanadyne FM100 units. They can be handy.

4. Arny L

Arny L Active Member

Thanks for reply, so 30 micron will work in cold temps, no plugging up. do I want separator before primary, or after. Im thinking before

5. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Yes, a water separator would go before the primary filter.

Any fuel filter will trap free water that would cause icing problems, if you have a primary and secondary filter then I like to take the primary off and dump it out to see what it's caught, then put it right back on. You might not want to do that if there's only one filter, too easy to let something get in the clean side and into the injection system. A roofing screw through the bottom works for a drain also, if it's just water you're worried about. Your shop is probably so dry that condensation in the winter is not much of a problem, there's much more water in the air in the summer.