• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV rc30- what does it NOT do that a bigger unit will?

motochris

Got a line on a good deal on an ASV rc30 with about 200 hours on it.
Never really messed with skid steers much so I have little reference. For homeowner use, moving dirt, using a rock bucket to clean dirt, maybe have to dig a hole big enough to bury a horse in.... Will this machine work well? What do I lose over a bigger machine other that lifting capacity?

motochris

I guess I'll run the deal by you as well. It's a 2007 Home Depot rental unit so I'm sure it has been treated as nicely as it could be. Little over 200 hours, been rented 115 times. $9k with a heavy equip trailer.
I know I could find a more used larger skid steer in that price range.

Jeepwalker

One way to look at it is that it's a small machine with limited capability. Another way is that it might be just right for your use. A small machine is easier to tote around whereas a large Gehl is going to need a larger, heavier trailer. A smaller machine can fit between obstacles, trees and close quarters better. It'll fit in your garage and take up a lot less space. The tracks will be easier on your lawn and grassy areas as long as you don't do 180 turns, plus will handle more uneven terrain better than a wheeled machine and give you better traction to boot.

You got along ok before without a skid loader so obviously you don't NEED a big one. Based on some online prices, it's probably a $17k - 18k unit with the trailer. For $9k I challenge you to find a significantly larger skid loader 5 years or newer, with 200 (or even 2000) hours and a trailer that doesn't need a lot of work, especially a track machine. I say buy it and try it. Just don't wait or the deal will slip away.

ironjunkie

Like jeepwalker said! Good deal$ At 200 hours, I don't think even an ASV undercarrage is hurt at all. I think it would be a good homeowner unit at a real nice price. You could prolly use it for many years and get your money back out of it later, providing it's sitll in good working order.
(and the only thing it doesn't have the the bigger machines have is bigger balls)

motochris

Thanks guys for the input. My buddy with a couple skid steers is afraid it may be too small but even he said the deal was real good. Good enough that if I decide in 6 months it's too small I should have no issue getting my money back out of it. That's always a nice comfort if I DO end up not digging it.
I'm sure it's been abused since its a rental, but at least it doesn't have a lot of time on it.
It has one new track, a new drive unit ( apparently a bolt backed out and messed up the other one?) and they have a new set of tortion bars in a box that will go with it, though they say it shouldn't need them. Only issue they said it had was the fuel gauge is inop.
Most of the used ones I'm seeing are $10k at the cheapest with a lot of hours. Many are $12-15k.
That said I could get an older full size skid steer with around 1500 hours for that price and know I have enough machine.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Thats a good buy. They are a decent little machine. It can do everything a larger unit will do just may take a bit longer to get it donee is all....

motochris

Anybody know if the RC30 can use the same buckets as a Bobcat? I've seen some place list them specifically for the ASV and others showing them for both units.

motochris

Well, my buddy with the skid steers made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Let him store his stuff at my place and I can use whatever he has.
Soooo... I'm not gonna get the RC30. This site has been very helpful to me, so if anyone here wants it... let me know and I'll get you the info.
With the trailer, RC30 and 48" toothed bucket it's $9600 plus tax in So Cal.

pafarmer

Occupation
Well, my buddy with the skid steers made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Let him store his stuff at my place and I can use whatever he has.
Soooo... I'm not gonna get the RC30. This site has been very helpful to me, so if anyone here wants it... let me know and I'll get you the info.
With the trailer, RC30 and 48" toothed bucket it's $9600 plus tax in So Cal.

That sounds cool motochris but I'd rather load up my KTM250XC that has been big bored to a 320 with a Thumper Racing kit and hit the desert for a few days of riding.

maddog

If I had the $$$ I'd jump on it. If nothing else, buy it and turn around and make a couple extra $$$.

motochris

That sounds cool motochris but I'd rather load up my KTM250XC that has been big bored to a 320 with a Thumper Racing kit and hit the desert for a few days of riding.

Get it loaded up then! I'm in the middle of the desert... you'de dig it. Got a 450x ready to go. :)
I'll be in PA this summer though. Everybody I know back there rides quads.

Here's my backyard...

house 002.jpg

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
That looks perfect for a ride. PM me when you get to Pa. I have a bike for you to ride(350SX set up for GNCC and the 320 and plenty of riding here too. All woods riding. Mud , roots and rocks. PM me with the details of your visit and we can get something setup for a ride if you would like too.....I would love to hit the desert at least once in my life for a ride.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
:D .......... that vid proves to me that .... " Now I Think It's EVEN CUTER " .......:drinkup

mover

Still available

Could you give me the contact info for the Home Depot that is selling this unit? I have been looking for one for a while now. Thanks.