• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV CTL - what's the "alternator diode" inside the fuse box do?

Vinito

Hi folks.
I've had three problems/symptoms which turns out are all likely due to a bad alternator, which is in the process of shipping and will (hopefully) be resolved soon.

One thing I ran across in this endeavor bugs me though. I prefer to actually understand how something works rather than just know it's not broken. I'm sure tons of you feel similar.

So this is an ASV PT30 but seems like all the PT and RC models have this diode thing in the fuse box. It's the little board made to fit in a fuse slot but it's got a diode thing going on under the heat shrink sleeve. The only spec I can find on it is "3A diode".

OK that's all well and good. But I can't figure out what the thing does. What the heck is this diode doing? Does it make it so the machine will shut off? Is it for a light in the panel? Is it somehow part of the exciter circuit? I could dig up that it is an "alternator diode" but of course has nothing to do with the rectifier diodes inside the alternator and does something entirely else. I have an RC30 schematic, but I can't glean from that schematic what the thing does either, partly because the wire lines just dead end near the alternator cartoon, which is a circle with three letters printed scattered on it and connected to nothing on the schematic. Thanks ASV.

Anyway, anybody know and can teach me what this diode inside the fuse box is doing and how it does it? It's like a splinter in my brain that I don't have a clue what its business is in there. Might as well be squirrels on a treadmill.

Thanks.