• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Asphalt Ziper Good or Bad

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Hello gentelmen I know nothing about milling asphalt but i do alot of utility replacement and I hate saw cutting.
I found this machine on the net and was wondering if anyone has ever used one or knows much about them. I am sure it is not as productive as a big mill but im not to concerned about that just yet.

here are some questions i hope to have answerd
Teeth what are the costs of replacing teeth and how often

Hourly expences anything else that i maybe forgetting

This is the one i am looking at The
AZ 600
Cutter Width
72 inches

Cutting Depth
0 to 12 inches

Cutting Speed Is this a reasonable number:beatsme
5400 sq ft per hr

Engine
Cummins 203 hp Turbo Diesel

Weight
9200 lbs

Host Vehicle
Wheel Loader
3 - 4 yd Bucket

Attachments

• zipper 22.jpg
    zipper 22.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,521
  • zipper11.jpg
    zipper11.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,626
  • zipper 33.jpg
    zipper 33.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,716

S.R.E.

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator/Business Owner
Well, I didn't own it so I'm not sure on the cost part. However, I did operate one for a while and I will share my experience. They work best on thick asphalt. They tend to kick on thin asphalt. Have a quick attach made and use that instead of strapping it on a bucket. While strapped on the bucket it tended to kick and buck more.

The one I ran had a hydraulic foot of some sort in the front but, it would bleed off. I suggested just having an adjustable foot that used a pin so it wouldn't bleed off but, they wouldn't change it. Eventually it totally self destructed. First the front foot thing would bleed off and let it get too deep on thin asphalt and when you hit a 6"-8" rock it didn't like it. When you hit a rock it would jump and at first when it was attached to a bucket it would then act like a bucking bronco.

After they made a quick attach for it it was a lot smother and didn't get wild. Then once it sheared the shaft that drove the drum and they just welded it on site. :pointhead Well this thing spins wickedly fast so being that it wasn't balanced anymore it's demise was fairly quick. I think they could be a good thing but in my opinion I would want it to have a quick attach and then have one or maybe two guy's that figure out how to run it and keep them on it.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Wow now thats the info that i wanted to hear! I definately would make a quick attach for the loaders just for simplicity reasons

andoman

I've heard about the same thing, we thought about buying a roadhog from zanetis (http://www.zanetis.com/) and had the same problems with the rental unit we were trying out. The one thing I can tell you is the asphalt zipper is insanely expensive (75k plus).

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I seen the asphalt zipper for sale on rockanddirt and it was only 36,000 and i thought it was reasonable but there again i dunno much about them.
Longjevety of them might be a problem but i figured that i would only have to do 500m2 of asphalt for the zipper to pay for itself Vs sawcutting.

I'll maybe see if i can get a demo in alberta then i will hopefuly have a better idea of this machine

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Teeth burn up quickly when there isn't water being fed to the cutter. Maybe Zippers are mainly used for reclaiming more than milling to grade cutting solid asphalt.....I

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
They do have a attachment to feed water to them, and that is definately sompthing i would concider doing.
please tell me more milling_drum because your name shows that you know sompthing about this stuff and i am eager to learn! even if it is basic

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
I don't know much about Zippers having never seen one. From what you mentioned about the applications you will be using it for, it would seem like a better option than having an actual milling machine....

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
keep your teeth freed up and spinning in pockets. that means nightly at shut down or morning before starting check every tooth that it spins in the pocket. If not remove them and clean the debri out of the tooth pocket. thats gonna be your biggest deal on teeth lasting. Once they dont spin anymore its not long before they are worn smooth and into the pockets and then it get expensive and time consuming cutting and welding new pockets in

andoman

probably atleast 200 000 cheaper ! and easier to move

It is to a point, we also do utility repairs, mostly for a gas company, and also railroad crossing. The asphalt zipper works well for pulverizing but can't mill worth a damn. The roadhog unit works for both applications but i more complicated and computerized (could be a problem in alberta). We learned during the demos that these machines are built more like a mill attachment for a skid steer and if you push them too hard or hit a structure it destroys them quick. My best advice is to train one or two guys to run the machine so they get used to running it by feel so the do't push it too hard and end up dumping money into the unit. Hope it works out for ya, oh and don't do the backhoe (az360??) model unless you have solid tires in the front of the unit. It weighs too much and will split sidewalls on brand new tires, it was ugly.

Last edited:

daddy

Deeretime, if you have skidloaders, look for an attachment that cuts a slot. We call it a slot cutter, or pizza cutter. The wheel is 2 feet in dia. or so, and will cut a slot in asphalt about 4" wide and max depth of about 10". This uses standard replaceable milling machine teeth, and works great for utility work, as you can trim the perimiter to whatever size you need very quickly, and the slot is wide enough for a hoe to get teeth in to start digging the chunks out. Much cheaper, and very fast. Sorry, don't have a photo, but should not be hard to find if you start looking at bobcat implements.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I thought of that already and theyre a good concept, But i want to reuse the material I take out without having to crush it

Asphalt Zipper

I am the sales manager for Asphalt Zipper for Canada. I would be happy to discuss with you the pros and cons and address the comments made here. I would be happy to discuss if the AZ600B is the right model for your application as well as arranging a free demonstration. Our website is www.asphaltzipper.com. If you go to the website you will find our phone number. Call and ask for Bruce and I would be happy to answer any questions. Thank you.

daddy

I thought of that already and theyre a good concept, But i want to reuse the material I take out without having to crush it

Ok. Gotcha. The "zipper" may be something to look at. I don't know much about them in particular, but have done work for a municipality that owns one. (I run a milling crew for a paving company.) We have 2' skid mills,4', and half lane machines.

I would also reccomend you look at the CAT PC205 ( I think I got the model right) skid loader mill. It is the best 2' I have used. Depending on how much you do this may not be enough, but it is so much better than other skid loader mills, that we use it for things we shouldn't.

The one comment on the zipper that my contact at the boro mentioned, is that it is bouncy. There is a reason that large milling machines are big and heavy. Good downpressure and mass keep it planted in the cut.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Bruce i did e-mail you guys and they put me in contact with a sales rep that is in saskatchewan, and i will hopefuly be demoing one when spring comes !! I'm excited to see what it will do

as for doing fine milling i doubt i would ever realy have a use for it and if i did have much i would hire someone to look after it for me,
All i am looking to do is grind the asphalt and pile it and hopefuly reuse it in the base,or make it easier to handle because alot of our jobs now require all recycleable material to be re used on the job and i dont think cutting and crushing is the way to go for small stuff

Asphalt Zipper

Thank you Deeretime. Dave is our rep is SK. Please do follow up with Dave come spring. He is very capable of answering any questions and will be happy to come do a demo for you. Good Luck. Bruce

dave3406

RoadHog milling attachment

Deeretime,

I am the Central Regional Manager for RoadHog, Inc. We manufacture self contained milling attachments sized for skid steers, backhoes and wheel loaders. For additional information please visit our website at www.roadhog-inc.com or contact me at dave@roadhog-inc.com

Regards,

Dave