1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

army genset

Discussion in 'Generators/Gensets' started by petepilot, Dec 24, 2018.

1. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

I have this little set` it runs good `has very few hrs but has a generator prob it will only produce 50 volts ,there is a diode or something in the control sys.that will not excite the gen.as it should. using a 9 volt battery and jumpers one guy who tried to get it to work was able to make it do what it should but could not come up with the needed part , am fishing for info or parts source.would like to see if any thing could be found or improvised 20181222_163302.jpg

2. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Post the rest of the model number. There were A, B, C, D, & E models Of the MEP-016

3. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

okay missed one

4. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

its an A

5. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

How much time and effort is it worth to go into an obsolete, strange, old 3 kw generator. Check Craigslist for a used Honda of the same or higher rating, will be easier to work on and less likely to break down.

Nevertheless I can probably help with this one if you really want to go down this road. I might also have one in the junk pile but it has been rained on for several years.

6. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

my real goal is to see whether this will survive as a gen, or let the kids turn the little v4 wisc. engine into a go cart motor

7. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Good lord that would be one heck of a go cart!!

AzIron likes this.
  8. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

lol
    lol its only 5 hp

9. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    5 is salty on one. I’m sure we could collectively double that without too much trouble! Seems like mine growing up were like a 3.5 HP Briggs. Had a mini bike and the throttle cable broke. I just jammed it WFO with a rock and rode the snot out of it.

thepumpguysc likes this.
  10. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    I ran across a video on utube of a fella diagnosing a gen set..
    VERY EASY w/ instructions.. & ONLY a few parts that can be replaced..
    He owns & operates a gen repair company.. & a simple volt meter is all he used in his diagnosis..
    Tells u exactly WHAT hes checking & WHY.. Go have a look & see if u can find it.

11. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Just came across this site posted on another forum. Lots of military manuals, lots of gennys. Maybe has what you're looking for, maybe waste of time. Just throwing it out there.
    http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/all.mpl

12. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Your manual is in there. On your tag there is a "tm" number, scroll down to find yours. The last suffix is different but the main part is there. I think the later numbers are whether it was on a skid, trailer or a handled carry unit. Good luck.

13. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Pretty much any generator that doesn't use an electronic circuit board to control output would use some form of bridge rectifier on the exciter circuit. And it may also have a brush holder at a slip ring to power up the rotating field. Brush holder is a common problem on Miller welder/generators.

14. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

smokestak is the place to go for any generator questions.

15. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Well-Known Member

Diesel & Generator Mechanic
    Quick Google search on the model number and all the manuals are online for that set in the first result.
    https://greenmountaingenerators.com/manuals-and-support/mep016d-manuals/

"MEP-016A-Operator-Manual-TM-5-6115-271-14", PDF page 94:
    If you go through the steps in the manual and find it to be a bad VR, contact Flight Systems. We've sent them any obsolete (or just massively overpriced) boards in the past, and they've been able to rebuild the majority of them.

16. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

after looking through the manual this seems to be fairly simple but time consuming. am going to look into it further before letting it go to a misadventure . the meter is showing 4.6 hrs can`t be to much wrong with it. by the way thanks for all the replys guys hope everyone had a wonderful xmas

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018