• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

army genset

petepilot

I have this little set` it runs good `has very few hrs but has a generator prob it will only produce 50 volts ,there is a diode or something in the control sys.that will not excite the gen.as it should. using a 9 volt battery and jumpers one guy who tried to get it to work was able to make it do what it should but could not come up with the needed part , am fishing for info or parts source.would like to see if any thing could be found or improvised 20181222_163302.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
How much time and effort is it worth to go into an obsolete, strange, old 3 kw generator. Check Craigslist for a used Honda of the same or higher rating, will be easier to work on and less likely to break down.

Nevertheless I can probably help with this one if you really want to go down this road. I might also have one in the junk pile but it has been rained on for several years.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
5 is salty on one. I’m sure we could collectively double that without too much trouble! Seems like mine growing up were like a 3.5 HP Briggs. Had a mini bike and the throttle cable broke. I just jammed it WFO with a rock and rode the snot out of it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I ran across a video on utube of a fella diagnosing a gen set..
VERY EASY w/ instructions.. & ONLY a few parts that can be replaced..
He owns & operates a gen repair company.. & a simple volt meter is all he used in his diagnosis..
Tells u exactly WHAT hes checking & WHY.. Go have a look & see if u can find it.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Your manual is in there. On your tag there is a "tm" number, scroll down to find yours. The last suffix is different but the main part is there. I think the later numbers are whether it was on a skid, trailer or a handled carry unit. Good luck.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Pretty much any generator that doesn't use an electronic circuit board to control output would use some form of bridge rectifier on the exciter circuit. And it may also have a brush holder at a slip ring to power up the rotating field. Brush holder is a common problem on Miller welder/generators.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Quick Google search on the model number and all the manuals are online for that set in the first result.
https://greenmountaingenerators.com/manuals-and-support/mep016d-manuals/

"MEP-016A-Operator-Manual-TM-5-6115-271-14", PDF page 94:
If the voltage is still low and the variable resistor will not correct the deficiency, check exciter voltage across terminals 20 and 21 of the voltage regulator terminal board. This voltage will vary but should be about 30 volts. If voltage at terminals 20 and 21 of the voltage regulator terminal board fails to meet specifications, the voltage regulator is defective and should be fully tested and repaired

If you go through the steps in the manual and find it to be a bad VR, contact Flight Systems. We've sent them any obsolete (or just massively overpriced) boards in the past, and they've been able to rebuild the majority of them.

petepilot

Quick Google search on the model number and all the manuals are online for that set in the first result.
https://greenmountaingenerators.com/manuals-and-support/mep016d-manuals/

"MEP-016A-Operator-Manual-TM-5-6115-271-14", PDF page 94:

If you go through the steps in the manual and find it to be a bad VR, contact Flight Systems. We've sent them any obsolete (or just massively overpriced) boards in the past, and they've been able to rebuild the majority of them.
after looking through the manual this seems to be fairly simple but time consuming. am going to look into it further before letting it go to a misadventure . the meter is showing 4.6 hrs can`t be to much wrong with it. by the way thanks for all the replys guys hope everyone had a wonderful xmas

Last edited: