• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Armoured Amphibious Dozer

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
The Armoured Amphibious Dozer has been developed to meet the requirements of Army engineers and is a BMP-2 ICV with its turret removed and extensive modifications carried out to its hull to enable it to undertake its new mission. As per the 2002-03 report published by the Ministry of Defence, the first limited series production (LSP) order of six vehicles was placed by the Indian Army.

The vehicle has a crew of two, consisting of the driver and operator who are seated back-to-back and are provided with a dual control system. Trials of the vehicle were completed during 1998-99 and it is now under final evaluation for acceptance. Standard equipment includes a hydraulically operated earth bucket, a winch, front mounted track with mine ploughs and a rocket propelled earth anchor. The rocket propelled earth anchor is used for self recovery and has a maximum range of between 50 metres to 100 metres depending on a number of factors. :)eek: YEEHAW! :Cowboy) It is provided with an NBC system and in the future an autonomous version with a NBC system could be developed for use in hazardous areas. The equipment has immense potential in project sites and areas affected by natural disasters like floods, earth quakes, etc. It's winching, towing, amphibious, high mobility cross country performance, capability of loading and unloading of cargo and rugged design make it an extremely versatile equipment.

Tank dozer.jpg

Tank dozer 2.jpg
link

surfer-joe

Excellent example of a machine that has already cost taxpayers a kazillion bucks, will be very expensive to produce and even more expensive to maintain, and is completely uncalled for.

It in fact, does nothing more than a good Cat 953 track-loader with various attachments could do, including a winch, with the possible exception of the rocket propelled self recovery system. (What we used to do with a 500 foot long tow cable and a couple of husky brutes on foot dragging it.) This machine, in point of fact, has very limited capabilities as it's a huge compromise in every function.

In today's warfare, it will still need a platoon of Marines or two Seabees as security while it's working, so all that armor does little more than weigh it down. The loader bucket can barely go high enough to fill a wheelbarrow. The fancy air conditioner/filtration system is no doubt a maintenance nightmare.

Boy, the military loves to spend our money on this junk, when they could just as well use off the shelf items to accomplish 99% of their missions. I hope this thing gets turned out to pasture in a museum someplace before any production ever starts. It's a solid waste of good money in my opinion.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Well alrighty then :D ......... but you think we atleast could keep the rocket propelled earth anchor to play with on rainy days. :naughty

surfer-joe

Maybe it might be usefull for backing up to a house and setting off that anchor thru the front door or gate and pulling it down, instead of the troops having to kick them in like they do now.

Of course, the Israeli's just use an armored Cat D9N for this purpose. Oops, there went the whole house!!!........

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
"A platoon of Marines or two Seabees"?

Please.... I think the SeaBee logo of "We build We fight" should be changed to We build and We eat. You will never see a piece of SeaBee equipment with counter weights. Thats built into the operator.:D

surfer-joe

Well, that's true, Seabees are good at all things, some better than others.

Us old Seabees are the heavyweights, the last time I was over to the Seabee base in California (two years ago), they had some of the skinniest female operators you ever saw running equipment. It's a strange feeling to see those young gals doing this, but of course, they do it well.

I must admit (it was quite late in the evening) I overlooked the model number and the part about the Indian Army planning to buy some of these little tank critters. In which case, I hope they buy a bunch of them. That will be good for the Russian economy, and it will put a ton of Indian mechanics to work.

But I'm sure, in some little corner of America, certain folks are dreaming up machines of a similar nature for our military to waste a five-ton truck load of cash on.

So it goes..............