1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Are Graders Obsolete?

Discussion in 'GPS Systems' started by Steve Frazier, May 22, 2020.

1. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

My County has been doing a total reconstruction of a two mile stretch of road for the past 8 months, it's nearing completion. They ripped out the old road, did major drainage, softened some curves and put all new base material in. There was never a grader on the job, all of the grading was done with a Deere 750 equipped with GPS pods. I have absolutely no experience with this technology and am curious if it is precise enough to do the work of a grader? Is roadbuilding a job a grader is no longer needed for?

I worked in roadbuilding in the early 80s and the roads were roughed in by dozer but always finish graded by a grader before paving. I didn't see that on this job.

2. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

graders are becoming scarce around here also except on big road work.the gps controlled dozers are the thing on small roads and private work . I also noticed that there were very few graders used on the reconstruction of I 84 between Scranton pa. & the ny. line that has been going on for years

3. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

When I was growing up every Town Highway department around here had a Cat 12, there were still a number of gravel roads to maintain. Everything is paved now and as those graders aged they were never replaced. I saw the County's grader out last week cutting shoulders fro drainage but that's about all they seem to do now. About the only place I see them anymore is on YouTube.

4. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Counties east of the mountains here use them extensively for snow removal and maintaining gravel roads. I haven't seen a contractor in awhile with one on a construction job. There are a few around that do repair work on long driveways and such but I think you are right about the new construction stuff. A grader is an expensive piece of machinery and good operators are about as hard to find as a sasquatch.

petepilot likes this.
  5. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    IIRC, our county is divided into 6 districts, each has a blade to maintain the gravel roads in the spring/summer/fall and plow them in the winter.
    They aren't used every day, once chloride is applied they'll set unless it's re-graveling time.

Ed