• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Are CTL Manufacturers Stuck in a Rut?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Another interesting discussion. I have had little to do with skids but have watched their evolution to tracks with interest but somewhat puzzled by the layout and geometry.

For years I have been wondering why it was not possible to design a small conventional and accessible tracked machine . . . and then along comes the 1CXT

http://www.jcb.co.uk/Products/Machines/Backhoe-Loaders/1CXT/Benefits.aspx

I am curious as to what a "conventional" small CTL can do that this jigger can't.

Stumpy Wally
Add a rear PTO & 3-pt hitch option, & what a small woods machine!!

To my eye this is an integrated unit, the backhoe is part of the package and without it or an equivalent counter weight the performance would be degraded.

Cheers.

Last edited:

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
Yair . . .
I am curious as to what a "conventional" small CTL can do that this jigger can't.

Stumpy Wally

To my eye this is an integrated unit, the backhoe is part of the package and without it or an equivalent counter weight the performance would be degraded.

I don't think that there is anything a "conventional" small CTL can do that the 1CXT can't...except get into spaces with less than 8' clearance.

And Scrub, I agree that the current 1CXT is an integrated design, where the backhoe is NOT removable, but that's not to say that it couldn't be redesigned a little to be removable. And at least 2 other posters in this thread have voiced the desire for rear PTO & 3-pt hitch. You could then hang counterweights on the 3-pt hitch when no other rear attachments are mounted, & I was thinking of a 3-pt-pto-powered skidding winch for woods work. They are pretty heavy by themselves, & are readily available.

Most small conventional SSL/CTL's don't even have ANY provision for a rear hitch, let alone a rear winch. And when they do provide for a rear winch (like on the JCB 325T Forest Master, or the Cat 299XHP from SuperTrak), the winches are expensive hydraulic affairs. The exception to the rear hitch availability issue is Case & NH, which at least offer an optional rear drawbar. I got one on my NH L220, & then added 2" receiver tubes to it, into which I slip an electric receiver-mounted winch.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
3-pt Hitch weights could be used, and when running a Gannon on the rear there would be plenty of weight. Hard to tell by the 1CXT info I've found, but it looks like a 76" wide model would run outside of the tracks. With hydraulic hookups, that would be over 1300 lbs hanging off the back.

StumpWally - I've always thought that the heaviest Earthforce / Ingersol Rand / Bobcat all-wheel-steer TLB would've taken off better if it had a removal BH with 3-PT and PTO. I think that IG/Bobcat only got it to use the AWS technology for their A300 and then dumped the machine so it wouldn't compete with their skids.

Last edited:

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I did like the little bobcat loader. Cat does have some small wheeled loaders but they are rare. A guy here in town has the little JCB machine you showed. I drove buy and though, that must be handier than a shirt pocket!

td25c

Yair . . .

Another interesting discussion. I have had little to do with skids but have watched their evolution to tracks with interest but somewhat puzzled by the layout and geometry.

For years I have been wondering why it was not possible to design a small conventional and accessible tracked machine . . . and then along comes the 1CXT

http://www.jcb.co.uk/Products/Machines/Backhoe-Loaders/1CXT/Benefits.aspx

Cheers.

That's a cool little unit Scrub .

Mixing old school ideas with the track loader / back hoe combo but with all the modern comforts . I like it !

hvy 1ton

I saw a 1CXT at ConExpo a few years ago and i assumed they were gonna market them in NA, but it hasn't happened thus far.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
Here is the service accessibility with the cab raised on the new NXT2 Series Mustang Compact Track Loader cab raised (1).jpgcab raised (2).jpg

Attachments

• cab raised (1).jpg
    cab raised (1).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 217
  • cab raised (2).jpg
    cab raised (2).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 215
  • cab raised (3).jpg
    cab raised (3).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
That's a heck of a lot more organized than the hose jungle lying in the belly pan of my Case.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
That's a heck of a lot more organized than the hose jungle lying in the belly pan of my Case.
Yes Sir! We have a vast assortment of cut up and bent wrenches & crows feet just FOR those Case's!!!