• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Arctic Transporting

Rolligon corp. is located about 15 miles from me in Carlos,Tex. Huge tires on those things, business must be good they added a new building last year and are starting iron work on another now.

stepp3360

surfer-joe

Great comments about Green issues in Alaska. I remember going a fishing trip as a child to Copper Center Alaska. Out in the middle of nowhere, here this big shop and equipment storage yard. This was early 70's,and I was told Green had their Alaskan shop located 200 miles from Anchorage, because their were no property taxes. They were still running a fleet of late 50's Autocar tractor's pulling cable end dumps. Lot's of tied junk! Did see my first DD9G push loading Cat's 666 on one of their many road jobs near Anchorage about the same time.
John

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Boy I had no idea that there were so many ex-slopers on this site. I worked for Mukluk the first time on the slope back in the late 70,s early 80,s, then for Pingo (how many of you remember them) I left them to go to work for Billy and Boyd (Good people to work for) at Cold Weather for about a year. Unfourtunatley it was just after he lost the contract in Kuparik (need sp check here) and shortly after that they sold out, then moving on the VECO when CWC closed shop (boy was that a rude awakening) and worked for them for about 8 years. Last i heard from Vern McKensie was that Billy was the president of Peak Alaska.
That photo of the 4600 brings back many old memories, I hauled Mukluks all over the Slope.
I had to laugh at the mention of Green, their yard was directly behind the Mukluk yard and every spring we had to remove all the snow we had pushed between the pads.
I can't count the times I dug up their phone lines that ran through the ditch between the 2 pads.
Boy life goes by fast. I did go back for VECO last year for 4 hitches, but being in my golden years it was a wee bit cold, that being said I still wan't to go back! (how to you spell stupid!)
keep the photos coming Northart, I will go through some of mine and get them scanned, most are Muckluk and VECO but what the H there still the slope:drinkup
By the way my best friend is a man named Ray Garrett (remember GSL) he worked for Becthl now CATCO and was insturmental in the redesign of the Rolligons to make them work in the artic. He's 70 years old now and he and I are getting ready to head back to West Africa for Chevron (again how do you spell stupid)
The photo is me (I think its me, however the memory is not what it used to be, anyway I moved it several time with that rig) using SOHIO's prime mover and their trailers to move the American 11320 w/200' o boom in it

Attachments

• moving the 4600.jpg
    moving the 4600.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 759