• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Arbor press

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Picked up this little bundle of joy back in May from an on-line auction.
Had planned to do a comlpete restore, but time isn't my friend. Finished up a mechanical restore tonight.
It was so gummy from setting, 2 people couldn't move the ram with the handwheel.
Polished all the shafts, honed the bores, ground off all the abuse on the ram, re-fit the pinion gear and added a new handle.

It's an Atlas #5, 15 tons of force, she weighs in at a slim & trim 1700lbs. Guessing it was made in the 30's or 40's.

Ed

20181017_233910.jpg 20181017_233935.jpg 20181017_233846.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I should post a picture of that guy's little brother I have. It is small enough to pick up with one hand!

crane operator

I really like that press base stand. Multiple sizes of holes, and it looks like the whole assembly can swing out in stages. for something really big.

It always amazes me how they used to build tools, like they were built by someone that had used tools before.

That press looks like it was built by someone that had worked in a shop pushing stuff apart, vs. designed by someone who'd never met mr. murphy.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
It's definately a well thought out design....fast & easy to make adjustments. The lower swing outs also have poured babbit at the pivot points.

Mine isn't the largest Atlas made, will look tomorrow and see how big they went.

Ed