1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Apt building weight per square foot

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by baexcavating, Jan 27, 2016.

1. baexcavating

baexcavating Active Member

Work like a rented mule to make ends meet
    Bidding a apt building demo, 2 story, 24 unit with full basement, brick exterior. Looking for a rough estimate on a weight per square foot.

2. hetkind

hetkind Senior Member

We need a tad more data, what are floors, walls and roof built from? 2x4 and dry rock with brick veneer will be much different than cinderblock walls and poured concrete floors and roof! And all we real need to do is look at ONE apartment on the bottom and one on the top! Concrete is 3k/yd^3, as is brick and drywall, and roof structures can be heavy also.

Howard

3. movindirt

movindirt Senior Member

Usually when I look at demo work I look at what the materials are that were used to build the building, then I have a close estimate as to how much will fit in a tandem load, and most of the time with the tandem packed full (15 yds or so) its 2-4 tons (packing with a 20 ton hoe). thats only wood and sheetrock and other landfill worthy material. Brick and concrete go to a fill site and the steel gets scrapped. Basically what I mean is without seeing the building in question I can't give much in the way of advice, a picture is worth a thousand words... :D Be sure you peal as much brick and block off and away from the structure before you start tearing it down, mixing that in with the landfill pile will run your dump costs up very quickly.

4. Wolf

Wolf Senior Member

Did you win the bid? are you going to do the demo? what is the building made of? where is it located? how old is it? what kind of equipment do you have to wreck it with?

5. Rozay

Rozay Active Member

Coordinator
    Don't really know too much about demolitions, but quite interested...

Does type of machinery differ depending on what type of material the building is made of?