• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Apache Bullseye 5+ not working (should I fix or replace)

JDPastor

I have an Apache Bullseye 5+ that I use for my excavators. It has the plumb and level sensor so it works great for what I need. The other day I was using it and it acted like the batteries were dead. That seemed strange because they had not been in that long. I changed the batteries and then it worked great for about 10 minutes and then acted like the batteries were dead again. Normally when I turn it off and back on all the lights light up unless the batteries are weak. If I take the batteries out and put them back in then all lights come on at start up, but otherwise it acts like the batteries are going dead. I tried multiple sets of batteries from different brands with the same results. It looks like I may have to send it in.
I really like this receiver, but am debating if I am better off having it fixed or just replaced with new. The repair cost is unknown until I send it in and they will just fix it and then bill me. What are your recommendations- have it fixed or buy new? A new one is about $1600 and I would then have NiMH batteries instead of Alkaline. If I knew it would only cost $500 to fix the old one I would go that route.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
i had two 5+'s. I really liked those receivers. I thought Apache was bought out, I looked up after reading this thread and you can still buy them as stated.

JDPastor

I was going to bring my Apache receiver in for repair, and when I powered it up at the shop it came right on, so I set up my laser and it worked perfectly. I then remembered that when it was giving trouble, I was working under power lines. I wonder if there was stray voltage that threw it off. For some reason my small hand held receiver was working under the lines, so I had my son follow with the grade stick. My Apache has a wider area to catch the laser signal, so I am wondering if that is why it might be more prone to interference.