• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anywhere take tires for free?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Some cement kilns burn tires in a co-generation process along with coal. There are a couple in my area that do.

FSERVICE

like the guy up the road bout a mile from me a few years ago had a "supicous fire" that burned up about 4000 tires!!! he state came in & paid the clean up fees for it also.... some people come out smelling like a rose...

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Every two to three years our county takes them free for a day so they don't get tossed into the ditches. One time about 10 years they experimented and ground them up and used the rubber shreds to add a couple feet of fill on a secondary swamp road that kept sinking. It is still holding up with a foot of class 5 on top. I keep thinking they will do it again but have not seen it yet. Government seems to have a hard time repeating anything that works. Them free tire days are like a zoo at the collection point.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
They mixed in tire grindings into asphalt some years ago and used in on a road in eastern Washington. Road caught fire in the summer with the heat. Made the news and I don't think any part of government has experimented with it again. The tire piles just seem to be getting bigger all the time.

Randy88

There are still clean up days in my area, but your volume is considered industrial, not homeowner, can I ask how you ended up with that many in the first place?

Don't know if you have recyclers in your area, but you need to locate those that cut them up for use on top of bunker silo's to hold down the plastic on them, the guys that cut them in my area get paid a fee to cut them in half, but you can donate them to those people, they in turn charge the farmer to do the cutting of them.

Wait long enough and the DNR will mandate you have to get rid of them, in x number of days and have a receipt to prove you disposed of them properly, heaven forbid if someone files a complaint against you to them, then there are fines involved and gets expensive I'm told by several that have gone through it, makes the disposal cost look pretty cheap.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
I can tell you here in Miami automotive tires are .75 a piece and it goes up my truck tires let's say 11 r 24.5 are about $4 a piece my county will only take 4 automotive tires for free daily

Old Doug

I make part of my income from hauling scrap iron so i run across alot of tires.When i started out the places that i sold cars to didnt want tires so i ended up with around 500 between scraping my brother raceing and dad selling used cars/trucks part time. One day i thought i better do some thing so about 90 miles from me their was a place that recycled them and for 50 cents a tire would take them. Before i got that farm cleaned up it was cost 1.00 a tire to get rid of them but by them they were leting us leave 4 tires on each junk car so every car had 4 or more tires with them when i hauled them to the crusher.That farm was sold and dad moved back to a farm he had owned for 40 years. It had some tires on it so i started cleaning it up. He had let some one dump about 100 in a ditch witch i have cleaned out and we had dumped some to and also had some that were used to cross the highway with the dozer years ago were it cut across the farm. They have a tire day once a year so i make sure and haul some to it they take 4 free and 1.00 after that. I dont have alot of tires my self but dad was fixing up a rebuilder or two a year and they always had cut tires so he would buy a old tire to move it around then put new ones on it after it was going. This will make alot of tires to get rid of in its self.Tires are a big problem you cant walk very far in the woods with out runing on to one.My brother cleaned the scrap up from a guy that had a truck repair shop and a farm. He made a deal with the widow and hauled several hundred truck tires to one spot so it would be easyer to get rid of them. His pay was he cut the tires off and scraped the rims. There is some kind of deal were if you inherit a place with tires on it the state MO will help you get rid of them. I dont think they will ever be a day were they are all cleaned up there just to big of a deal.Some power plants are burning some.I heared a guy that was some thing to do with the goverment say they couldnt come up with the amount of tires to make using them for fuel worth it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In Minnesota we pay a $2.00 environmental fee (fee, a tax that is not called a tax but stuck in the general fund just the same) on every tire we buy also. Many tire stores charge another $2.00 for car tires when mounting, and up from there for bigger tires.

Old Doug

They had another tire disposal day this weekend in the town were i live. I found out about it at the first of the week and have been working 14 or more hours a day so i didnt have alot of time to gather them up but i got about 16 to haul. My dad and mom were going to take 4 each you can take 4 per driver and i was takeing the rest and going to pay to get rid of 4 but when i got there they were takeing all you could haul. So i load dads pickup down and he hauled them. He came back and told me if i loaded them he would make another trip so i found 3 tires that had come off the back of one of his tractors.They are going to a power plant in Mo to be burnt for fuel. We may have anther dozen or so to get rid of and this winter i am going to gather them up to get rid of.I hate seeing old tires around and want to do my part to clean them up. They had one of these deals in the county next to us. I wanted to take some of ours there i had told some friends that i was going and ended up hauling around 100 but was short on time and did get to haul any of mine.

muskoka guy

Occupation
builder
Just bought a new set of 1400 24 for our telehandler. We bought bias ply and the upfront govt disposal charge was $47 per tire. The radials they quoted us we had a $125 disposal fee.

JDOFMEMI

Well, I would guess the bias tires can be shredded easier than steel belted radials, so they may cost less to dispose of.

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
I'd rather want to know why we have to pay a disposal fee when we try to dispose of them when we already paid a disposal fee when we bought them.

Alex.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Very good point Alex.