• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone using a 2015/2016 ASV skid loader or track loader?

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with the new 2015/2016 ASV skid loaders or track loaders and which diesel you have. Perkins, Deutz or Cummins.....seems like they use a few. Do the machines compare to top end machines?

Also if you have a 2015/2015 Terex.....or a Takeuchi wheeled skid loader......which are made for Terex & Takeuchi by ASV. www.asvllc.com I'm considering a machine or 2 to rent out.

bartelbe

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Technician
I have alot of experience servicing both the terex and asv track loaders and is a awesome machine but is application specific, if your running on asphalt,concrete or hard rock surface you will go through tracks fast, as far as engine all i have seen in them is the perkins branded diesel which is actually a fpt same engine used in case's. They tend to be a higher maintenance in regards to idlers and boogie wheels then a ctl but will go places and have a ride that a ridge frame ctl cant touch. Alot of the tree companies love them and those guys are extremely hard on equipment and found the only thing to hold up is the terex units with the mulchers heads on them.

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
bartelbe
Thanks for the response. Sure appreciate the input. Planning to send an experienced operator to Minn. to check them out at the ASV Proving Grounds..........when the weather clears :)

Rentalstop

Bobcat, Deere, Caterpillar, Case and New Holland have about 90% of the skid steer market. ASV may make a great machine for an owner/operator that wants that specific undercarriage. In the rental business we want a durable and simple machine that anybody and their brother can jump in and run and abuse. Bobcat makes a tough machine, just redesigned the tracked undercarriage making clean up easier. Deere has some new machines out 312,314,316,318 and a new 317 track loader. Caterpillar has really picked up a big market share in just over 15 years. Cat makes some good machines. Very aggressive leases, at least here in Ohio. No experience with Case/New Holland, but have not heard much good lately. Choose loaders with a dealer near you that wants your business and can get parts quickly. I have had great luck with Bobcat. Jmho

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
This could be an interesting thread...Back in 2012 when I was shopping for a SSL/CTL for snow plowing & working on my soft, wet ground, I first got interested in ASV, then Terex. I quickly discounted them because of the lack of a good dealer near me & the "primitive" cab. So, I'm now very intrigued by the fact that ASV, LLC seems to have new life/focus now that it's been liberated from Terex (but who I think still has a non-controlling interest). Who would want a white machine anyway??

So, I studied the ASV, LLC website for a bit & offer these observations:

The website is "fresh", but is still feeble regarding specifications. The most serious omission IMO is the lack of ground clearance numbers, since ASV has always had the largest ground clearance of all SSL/CTLs. And a length & height is also missing.

Engines in the 4 CTL models, RT-30, RT-60, RT-75 & RT-120, are listed, respectively, as Perkins 403D-15, Perkins 404D-22T, Cummins QSF2.8, & Cummins QSF3.8. Does anyone have any good or bad to say about these engines?? I'd be most interested in the Cummins QSF2.8 in the RT-75. What does "R" stand for, maybe "revised", "revived",...??

All the engines are listed as Final Tier 4, but there is no info on how they achieve that, whether or not with DEF, DPF, DOC, SCR, what ever. I assume they are all common rail, but it's not listed.

The RT-75 & RT-120 appear to be same size (track contact length=71", max. track width=20", undercarriage wheel size=15" F & R with 10" rollers overall width=71", alternator=120 amp), but the RT-120 is much heavier (11,265 lbs vs. 9,180 lbs) due to the larger engine & the addition of high flow aux. hydraulics. There is also a RT-120 Forestry with add-ons specific for that use. The 75 has a very low ground pressure of 3.2 psi with the 20" tracks, nearly as low as the 30 @ 3 psi.

All the models have reasonable HP to weight ratios (gross HP/1,000 lbs) of greater than 8 (the 75 is the lowest at 8.1), & the 120 has an outstanding ratio of 10.7. By comparison, my NH L220 SSL is 9.3, a JCB 260T CTL is only 6.9, & Cat MTLs are a 257D @ 9.2, a 287D @ 7.5, a 297D/D2 @ 9.7/9.2, & a 297D/D2 XHP @ 10.2/10.1.

The cabs appear to be much better (less "primitive"), but there is not enough visual info to judge. Interestingly, the joystick controls on all models appear to be ISO only (not a problem for me), & on the 30 thru 75 models are listed as "pilot hydraulic Joysticks", vs. the "electronic joysticks" in the 120. To me this means real hydraulic pilot controls vs. E-H (electric over hydraulic) on the 120. Since IMO no one has done E-H perfectly yet, & certainly they don't have the "feel" of real pilot controls, the availability of real hydraulic pilot controls is a plus, albeit a little "old school".

It's not clear if any of the models still have the built-in rear receiver hitch that the older ASV's had. I would hope so, since IMO that was a stroke of genius not duplicated by any other manufacturer.

At least the 60 & 75 models list 'bucket positioning" as an option. But it's not clear what this means, whether "load cushioning", "self leveling", "return to dig", or some combination.

And finally, the current dealer listing shows NO dealers in NY state, with only a couple in the entire NE US. I would love to actually look at these new RT models up close & personal, but it doesn't look promising yet. Maybe some of the parent company (Manitex International) dealers will handle them. Has anyone actually touched one??

StumpyWally

Occupation
I almost forgot...the other obvious spec missing for ASV CTL's is whether they are radial lift or vertical lift. They all look radial lift, & perhaps that's what the "R" in the "RT-" model name really means.

I took a quick look at their SSL's, & sure enough, their models are "RS-" for radial skid & "VS-" for vertical skid. But I do agree with RentalShop's comments above about market share....I can't understand why ASV would bother with a SSL, when all the other players have got that market about saturated. What does ASV have in a wheeled skid that is unique or outstanding?? Maybe ground clearance, but certainly in the CTL/MTL market they are unique. They have by far the lightest ground contact of any manufacturer....Their closest competitor is Cat, with their MTL line that uses the ASV undercarriage. But Cat's MTLs are not purpose-built for tracks, & don't have the balance or ground clearance that ASV has. But with Cat's D series, they do have much better cabs & E-H controls, & unquestionably better parts & service support, so ASV will likely never compete in those areas.

movindirt

I almost forgot...the other obvious spec missing for ASV CTL's is whether they are radial lift or vertical lift. They all look radial lift, & perhaps that's what the "R" in the "RT-" model name really means.

I took a quick look at their SSL's, & sure enough, their models are "RS-" for radial skid & "VS-" for vertical skid. But I do agree with RentalShop's comments above about market share....I can't understand why ASV would bother with a SSL, when all the other players have got that market about saturated. What does ASV have in a wheeled skid that is unique or outstanding?? Maybe ground clearance, but certainly in the CTL/MTL market they are unique. They have by far the lightest ground contact of any manufacturer....Their closest competitor is Cat, with their MTL line that uses the ASV undercarriage. But Cat's MTLs are not purpose-built for tracks, & don't have the balance or ground clearance that ASV has. But with Cat's D series, they do have much better cabs & E-H controls, & unquestionably better parts & service support, so ASV will likely never compete in those areas.

I don't understand why they built a SSL either, I know the Terex machines were identical to the Takeuchi SSL's. Did anyone else notice that the wheeled ASV's, the doors on the enclosed cabs look really similar to the Cat B series cab doors? Its really thick and about the same shape, just caught my attention.

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Stump Wally.......thanks for the extensive data. You've been a busy beaver compiling data.......good stuff.
Nice description here on the Cummins QSF2.8 http://www.oemoffhighway.com/product/10700479/cummins-inc-qsf28-engine
and the 3.8 http://www.oemoffhighway.com/product/10862602/cummins-inc-qsf38-tier-4-final-engine
Nice touch if they have Cummins and stick with them. I do have some spec sheets the ASV rep gave me showing Deutz engines. Both great engines with Deutz my pick because they freely give the troubleshoot how-to and codes to anyone that wants them. No proprietary nonsense at Deutz.

I'm hoping to post some 'stick time' feedback and provide detailed answers to your further questions after Joel comes back from a day at the ASV Proving Grounds later this month........look for it here.

BTW, ASV does have 6 reps crisscrossing the country setting up distribution so maybe someday in the future the brand will be revived. Would be nice to have a major league machine in the smaller dealerships again.

StumpyWally

Occupation
Gap...thanks for the engine info. I just talked on the phone with the ASV, LLC sales rep from near Pittsburgh, here are some notes:
  1. Confirmed that the reps are in the process of getting smaller dealerships to handle the ASV line, size about like a typical Kubota dealer.
  2. ASV actually makes the wheeled skids for Takeuchi. ASV wants to be able to offer a full line of tracked & wheeled skids to the smaller dealers.
  3. He confirms that the joysticks described as ""pilot hydraulic" are in fact just that, & NOT E-H.
I've asked the rep to get me some more specific info on a RT-75, & I am looking forward to hearing some feedback from your "Joel"...

What models are you interested in?? Or what is your business...& why are you interested in a revived ASV product line??

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Stumpy Wally....There are various models I'd rent out. I much prefer buying machines from smaller dealers who go out of their way to keep my machines up and running so I can actually rent them out. I don't like the way the Big 5 mfrs. 'control' their dealers but I still need the best machine I can get.......hoping a revived ASV understands that.

StumpyWally

Occupation
Gap Power...I had assumed from your location that you were near the Delaware Water Gap. That might have been a location I could visit when I return periodically for a visit to the area I grew up in, which is about 40 miles up the Delaware River on the NY side of the border with PA. But, when I put your "Gap, PA" into Google Earth, I learned that you are a little SW of Philadelphia & West Chester, PA. I zoomed in, snooped around, & WALA! I found your rental business & sign using Google's Street View. Too bad you're so far away...

Would you anticipate having much call for ASV's tracked machines for wet areas, with their very low ground pressure?? Or not so much in your area??

Rentalstop

GapPowerWilly.... Do you rent any skid steer loaders or track loaders currently ? I am not a big fan of the big manufacturers either, but Bobcat and Deere had very aggressive pricing at the Rental Show in Atlanta. They were happy and interested to gain my business even though I run a very small operation. Ohio Cat sells new skids and tracks for less than others sell used machines. Hate to say it but it's the economy of scale that gives them the edge.

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Stumpy Wally.......seems like the track machines are the rage here. If price were the same nearly everyone would rent them ahead of the wheeled ones. Grading on hills is what we hear most of........with some asking for the wet area flotation.

GapPowerWilly

Occupation
Equipment Rental
Rental Stop......I do rent Case, NH and Takeuchi. I just wonder if dealers selling the Big 5 are 'forced' to use the skid loaders as loss leaders.......with heavy handed mfr.'s assuring them that will bring larger iron sales? That is not so much a conspiracy theory as it is knowing that in this area of PA the dealers rejoice if they make markups over 7%. Why do market conditions force such a low markup? Not sure. A few make it up by selling a machine per day but the rest are just spinning their wheels.

Rentalstop

Caterpillar dealer in Ohio sells the skids cheap to gain market share. More market share, better prices on everything they buy. They funnel rebates from big equipment into the back end on skids. I have a buddy with a 242D (cab/hvac) $300/month lease. I am renting it out and paying his lease.
Deere and Bobcat dealers don't seem to give anything anyway. The specials at the ARA show were subsidized by manufacturers. They don't usually move that much otherwise.
The local Case/New Holland dealer runs a big rental operation. I wouldn't buy from a competitor. I have heard stories that repairs have exceeded the original cost of the New Holland. Some said they have bought machines back. They actually added Wacker Nueson skids as well last year. Won't buy Wacker anything, they don't talk to little guys, they said buy from another dealer when I was looking at plate compactors. Same as JLG, they don't give me the time of day.

Digdeep

My primary concern buying a ASV/Terex machine would be the parts availability and whether ASV will even be in business in the not too distant future.

I'm an actual ASV RC-50 owner and think they are good performing machines that have seriously fallen behind the other CTL manufacturers. Terex's acquisition was an unmitigated disaster and essentially destroyed the future of ASV. They have become a nonfactor in the market with negligible market share which they need to keep the factory open. Based on feedback from a current northern Wisconsin dealer I've dealt with I would be surprised if they are still making machines in two years. Good luck with your choice.

hollowellreid

Dig deep...it's good to hear your opinion, I respect and trust what you say. Is terex totally out of the MTL game now?

I think the machines will pretty much out perform and outwork most other machines in their class but the build quality is just terrible. I have a pt-30 and had been thinking of a 60 but this makes me second guess that. They really aren't commercial quality. It's more like a Home Depot lawn mower quality. Too bad but really no surprise, I guess.