• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone successful at electroplating zinc, chrome, brass, copper,,on restoration work?

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
Since I've been attempting soo many restoration projects I am constantly wishing to re-plate or initially plate replacement parts for my restoration projects. I like galvanized type plating because it seems to have great corrosion protection for the metal underneath it. I have tried electroplating some hardware for autos and "time will tell" if I was successful or not -hoping that it lasts through the heavily salted winter roads we have. I attempted to make my own plating solutions and learned a few tricks so far. I guess I could have spent plenty of dough by investing in some or at least one of those plating kits on the market, but I am too tight with my money and would rather experiment and research the methods till I either get it right or "give up". Are any one of you curious about this type of metal finishing technique too? It seems to be relatively inexpensive and even profitable as a business practice, or so I read, if you have the knowledge and right equipment.

When hydraulic cylinder rods become scored or pitted through the chrome plating they must be refinished or replaced. I read that some electroplating techniques can be used to refinish and restore the damaged chrome on these rods. I've got a number of cylinders with damage that I could "practice" on. Do any of you refinish cylinders yourselves?

I'll post some pics of my recent plating efforts and results soon for those who are curious.

Some plating techniques can leave hydrogen in the metal- a problem for higher hardness steels, that makes them brittle. Supposedly that is cured by baking the parts in a 400degF/200degC oven for an amount of time post-plating. So I'm faced with baking any critical fasteners etc. before putting them into service on any machine.:usa